Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 3 weeks into package install  (Read 2745 times)

Offline DaveKow

• House Bee
3 weeks into package install
« on: May 26, 2008, 02:45:22 pm »
Just checked 2, 3 week old packages, installed on foundation.  I only have 5 drawn combs in each hive.  Is this because I am out of young bees and I am waiting for the first batch of new bees to come out?  Both hives have about 2 full frames of capped brood. 

Thanks,
Dave

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
Re: 3 weeks into package install
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 05:43:14 pm »
Dave it sounds like it.  Are there larva?  Mine took a dip in population about that time as the older bees did die out & new hadn't emerged.  Now I have a GAZILLION & 5!  :shock:  You should see a huge explosion in the next couple of weeks!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 05:51:32 pm »
Sounds like they are doing fine and yes, you should see a population increase shortly.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 06:00:03 pm »
Does someone have a picture of capped brood they could post please?  I'd be interested to see what capped brood looks like - how different does it looked to capped everything else???   Thanks :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:21 pm »
Does someone have a picture of capped brood they could post please?  I'd be interested to see what capped brood looks like - how different does it looked to capped everything else???   Thanks :)

Capped brood:

Capped brood:

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 06:47:22 pm »
Hmmmmmm  so capped brood is yellow?  and not smooth looking?  Kind of bumpy/ dusty looking?  So the white smooth capped cells on my frame are completely different and just capped honey from the sugar syrup I was feeding before the pollen was available?  Very white and thin and smooth......very different.  Thank you! 

That helps a lot.  And If you don't see that like within a month of installing is that FAR too late?????  or is that still ok?  Is that still time?  How long is too long?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 06:54:48 pm »
Hmmmmmm  so capped brood is yellow?  and not smooth looking?  Kind of bumpy/ dusty looking?  So the white smooth capped cells on my frame are completely different and just capped honey from the sugar syrup I was feeding before the pollen was available?  Very white and thin and smooth......very different.  Thank you! 

That helps a lot.  And If you don't see that like within a month of installing is that FAR too late?????  or is that still ok?  Is that still time?  How long is too long?

Not all capped brood is yellow, here's a pic:

I would be concerned after a month yes.

...JP

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 07:03:30 pm »

...JP

OMG the dummies guide to beekeeping really isn't the 'dummies guide' is it...someone needs to write a new book for 'the really stupid persons guide for those who need a 'really REALLY simple picture book guide to step by step beekeeping'!!!!!  I have several books on beekeeping but none of them go into THAT much detail really....thank goodness for these forums!!!  Unfortunately the meetings in this area aren't convenient for me to get to.

Thank you for your never ending patience with us newbies :) 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 07:13:32 pm »

...JP

OMG the dummies guide to beekeeping really isn't the 'dummies guide' is it...someone needs to write a new book for 'the really stupid persons guide for those who need a 'really REALLY simple picture book guide to step by step beekeeping'!!!!!  I have several books on beekeeping but none of them go into THAT much detail really....thank goodness for these forums!!!  Unfortunately the meetings in this area aren't convenient for me to get to.

Thank you for your never ending patience with us newbies :) 

Beekeepers helping beekeepers, isn't that what its all about?

You are most welcome!

...JP