Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How many frames in a Deep Box?  (Read 2271 times)

Offline Thershey

• New Bee
How many frames in a Deep Box?
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:56:56 pm »
New keeper question.  I've had experienced keepers tell me 9 and others tell me 10 frames in my deep boxes,  I'm running 9.  Just checked my hives tonight and there is a fair amount of bridge comb towards the top of my frames.  Curious what the consensus might be here.  Thanks in advance.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: How many frames in a Deep Box?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 12:00:17 am »
10 frames in brood boxes and 9 frames in honey supers.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:12:41 am »
10 frames of foundation.

9 or 10 frames of drawn comb.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:28:12 am »
Always start with 10.  After frames are drawn and extracted the first time, you can run 9 in the honey supers. This allows the bees to deepen the cells which stores a lot more honey per unit frame. However, for the hobbyist there is no real advantage as the marginal time required to uncap the 10th frame is insignificant and the marginal cost of the 10th frame doesn't really matter.  The heavier frames blow out more often.

There is no reason (that I can think of) to ever run 9 in the brood.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:56:28 am »

There is no reason (that I can think of) to ever run 9 in the brood.

Dimensions of frames are meant to brood rearing. It is only alternative.

If you use wider space,  bees must shorten the long comb cells before the queen can lay into them.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Thershey

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 11:49:49 am »
Thank you all for the insightful responses.  I am using drawn comb, sounds like I might be OK with 9 but I see no reason to allow the extra space.

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 12:16:25 pm »
NO, read the responses again.  9 is okay in honey supers; however,  in brood boxes it is never appropriate.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »
>sounds like I might be OK with 9 but I see no reason to allow the extra space.

What you get with 9 frames in the supers is thick, easy to uncap, comb.  What you get with 9 frames in the brood nest is uneven comb.  This is because brood is a consistent depth and honey is not.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline WarPonyFarms

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 01:09:02 pm »
I run 10-11 in the brood boxes and 8-9 in the supers.  

The exceptions are if I'm running frame feeders (Then I run 9 frames with a 2 inch feeder), or on the occasion when I have to run foundation in the super (then I run 10-11 until they are drawn).

It's about what works for you.  

I have friends that will put 10 frames in their supers and tell you all day why that is the best way.  For me, wider frames are easier for my system to cap and I'm all about less work for me.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:06 pm »
Always start your honey supers out with 10 if they are new foundation.  Only change to 9 after the frames have been drawn out.  They will draw out a lot of bad comb with too much bee space between frames if you start them out with 9 new frames in a 10 frame box. 

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 09:59:16 pm »
Actually I run 12 frames in my jumbo brood boxes, but I didn't want to confuse the discussion. :-D

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:31:11 pm »
good cause he specified deeps not jumbos, so it might of.

I say run 9 and 1/2..... cut the 10 sideways along it's width to just compromise with the 10 framers and the 9 framers... ok, I'm just joking of course, and being a smart*ss. seriously, same answer as everyone else, 10 in brood which will be your deeps more than likely, if you want, 9 in honey supers, but I still do 10 frankly. uncapping isn't like rocket science....OMG I do NOT know what to do....it is not sticking outside the frame so much for me to just run it through my uncapping machine or use my special handy dandy heated uncapping knife.....guess I will just have to not uncap it.....ok, once more I jest...in a larger operation, it does obviously make things much easier, so should be considered.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2013, 01:32:38 am »
Actually I run 12 frames in my jumbo brood boxes, but I didn't want to confuse the discussion. :-D

Put there 13 frames and you perhaps  confuse it better  :-X
Language barrier NOT included

anything