Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hello from Copake, NY  (Read 2291 times)

Offline kbee

• New Bee
hello from Copake, NY
« on: July 26, 2011, 10:49:22 am »
hello to every 1. I'm a new beekeeper starting out this year. i began reading about honey bees and beekeeping and fell in love  :-D so i decided to get into beekeeping. Over the winter i built 8 hives and all the frames from scratch and i also built 7 5 frame nucs for the swarm catching.  Now all i had to do is get the bees when the time came around. when spring came around i put out all my nuc boxes out in trees with lemon grass oil and a few with swarm lure. i don't know if it was luck or location location location where i placed them but in a weeks time i had honeybees living in every one. so that was the first start of the beekeeping then i spread the word that i was becoming a beekeeper and in a small town word spread fast. then the phone calls started for removals and swarm removals. so far this year i did 4 removals and got 4 swarms so i got 15 hives going as of now and all doing very very well :-D it was a lot of work for my first year but all that research that i did before hand really helped and i loved every second of it didn't even feel like work. if any one has any pointers about  keeping the bees through the winter please give me some pointers dont want to lose my girls after all that work. THANK YOU!  and hope to learn more from the fellow beekeepers and maybe i can help to some of your questions. did lots and lots of research

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: hello from Copake, NY
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:22:19 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:41 pm »
thank you. hows your bees doing this year? how long you been beekeeping?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:40:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum!   :cheer:   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:43:38 pm »
Thanks mike happy beekeeping :bee:

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 06:50:57 pm »

I grew up with bees back when bee keeping was easy.   Then got back into them 6 or 7 years ago.   Bees are doing just fine this year.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 10:58:38 pm »
Welcome! How are the bees? As a newbee I am eager to hear how others are doing.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:15:23 am »
my little girls are doing wonderful. there going strong except for one because that hive swarmed on me while i was on vacation :(.  but i'm doing a removal on Tuesday so in stead of starting a new hive sense its getting late in the season around here, i'm going to add the bees from the removal to the weaker hive to help them out that's if there healthy looking. don't need any bad stuff being introduced into a hive that is healthy.  Francus hows your bees doing?

Offline kbee

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 04:56:24 pm »

I grew up with bees back when bee keeping was easy.   Then got back into them 6 or 7 years ago.   Bees are doing just fine this year.

that's good to hear :-D always good to hear that a beekeeper is doing good must be treating your girls good. have you ran into any killer bees living down south