Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Whats the best size for entrance holes  (Read 11959 times)

Offline Bigfoot

• New Bee
Whats the best size for entrance holes
« on: August 13, 2011, 01:51:02 pm »
Hello to all I have a question, I'm building a TBH and want to use holes for the entrance what is the best size to use? and how many the hive is 48" long.

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Re: Whats the best size for entrance holes
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 12:48:23 pm »
I drill three, 3/4 inch holes low on the front of the hive (not the end of the hive) about 2 inches apart. That way the hive is in the center of the box and you can add bars to either or both ends. Also, the comb runs with the entrances rather than across them (better ventilation). I also have one (my first) TBH that has the entrance on the end. It has a 3/8" by 3" opening at the bottom with two 3/4" vent holes at the top. I closed off the bottom entrance with wax and propolis to limit the openings and the bees opened it back up and use all three! I have noticed that there is ALWAYS bearding on the TBH with the end entrance, and NEVER bearding on the TBH's with the front entrances.

Offline Sundog

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:39 pm »
Just wondering, with your entrances in the middle, do the bees build in both directions? 

I built a TBH and one of the sites I researched said "do not put the holes in the middle".  I ended up putting mine in the end of the hive per the plans I was referencing, but the colony is not yet strong enough to have any bearding or show signs of swarming.

Have fun!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 09:38:30 am »
Sundog, the bees will build in both directions from center, so you need to use two follower boards. They will store honey in the outer combs, which is an advantage in the winter. Another winter advantage is the potential buffer zone on each end that you can put insulation in if needed. Plus, as mentioned, the ventilation is improved because the comb is not blocking the entrances.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 10:59:11 am »
I drill three 1" holes in each side of the front of the hives.  This is because I often overwinter two smaller colonies in the same hive for shared warmth, so each side needs their own entrance.  I found a supplier of 1" craft corks so I have an easy and interchangeable way to close holes as needed.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

anything