Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Soon to be a new beekeeper in Alabama  (Read 2441 times)

Offline Don K

• Brood
Soon to be a new beekeeper in Alabama
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:12:32 pm »
Hey everyone. Wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I have had the beemaster site on my favorites for several years now. My wife and I have paid for 2 nucs we are to pick up sometime the end of the month. My wife's family worked bees when she was younger and she has wanted to get some for the last few yrs. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking as I don't like going into anything half cocked. There is a lot to learn and this is a good source and we have the book "First Lessons in Beekeeping" by Dr. Keith Delaplane. Very good book with good illustartions Also we have enjoyed Linda T's bee blog.  There is a lot to learn and we are excited to start. We bought 2 beginners kits so we both have some equipment and the hive bodies are painted and got another shipment of frames, 2 more brood chambers, and foundation today. Don't want to get caught needing supplies and having to order them. I also own a portable sawmill and have access to pine and cypress lumber and woodworking equipment, so I am going to try my hand at making my own bodies and supers and just buying the frames.

I am sure I will have many questions so bear with us as we enter the world of beekeeping. :)

Don

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Soon to be a new beekeeper in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:09 pm »
I enjoy Linda's blog also, and making your own equipment is half the fun of beekeeping.  Keep your hobbies fun.

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:26:30 pm »
Welcome, Don and Mrs. to the fascinating word of beekeeping. It is always nice to hear when families are involved with the girls, together. I wish you the best and hope that the season is a good producer for you. If you get a chance , you may want to edit your profile to include your location so people can help you with any of the questions you may have for your area.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 09:28:46 pm »
Welcome to the forum and beekeeping. Don't be afraid to ask what might seem to be a silly question.We have all been beginners and everyone here is more than happy to help if they can.
Just don't get frustrated when something doesn't go the way you think it should. Them darn bees won't read the books!! ;)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 11:50:47 am »
Don, wonderful that you found us and that you have joined in.  This is a place where you will love to spend time, a place for friendship, and place for learning and a place to tell your stories, tales and experiences.  We love new members, stick around.   Do have that most wonderful day, of living life full of love and health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »
Hey welcome - looks like you made the right approach - read read read -go!
I have to admit a little jealousy over the sawmill. My property is covered with oaks, and every hurricane or so I can grab a few feet of pecan (makes a really beautiful wood).
be happy and make others happy.

Offline gwalker314

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 01:11:52 am »
Welcome,
I live near B'ham, but I grew up in Linden just north of you. Great place here to learn alot.

GW

anything