Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbie!  (Read 1721 times)

Offline bfouts

• Brood
Newbie!
« on: February 07, 2016, 09:00:50 am »
I am looking to start beekeeping this year!!!! I would like to know what is a good book to read that will help me learn about bee keeping!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Newbie!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 09:34:05 am »
Welcome to Beemaster.
The Practical Beekeeper by Michael Bush.
Beekeeping for Dummies.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 10:56:59 am »
My first reading was on this forum board. I'd start from the latest post and read back until I got tired. I'd save that spot in the Favorites spot on my computer. When I'd start reading again I'd delete it from favorites and save the new place where I'd stop at. Doing this gave me a somewhat timeline and common problems to look for. ditto on Michael Bushes Book & website.

btw - Welcome
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline LKBruns

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:10:15 pm »
The Practical Beekeeper - Michael Bush
The Backyard Beekeeper - Kim Flottum
Beekeeping For Dummies
The Beekeepers Handbook
The Complete Step by Step Book of Beekeeping

The BK Corner Podcast - Kevin Inglin
The Wildlife Pro - Beekeeping Series with Bob EvanS
Organically Managed Beekeeping Podcast
Hive Talk - David Burns Podcast

I would recommend when you have a particular question that you post your question on here or Beesource.  Then research the topic and get different perspectives.  You will find many times different opinions on the same topics - not necessarily right or wrong - just different things work for some and not others

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:05 pm »
Welcome to the forum!  I second all the books recommended above. Once you get into those, you'll have a million questions and once you get the bees you'll have even more.    That's what we're here for.
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:36:12 pm »
The Complete Idiot's guide to Beekeeping.  Basic.  Treatment free.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:26 pm »
Beemaster and Beesource, written by thousands of beekeepers taking care of bees today.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 09:52:53 am »
But if you read Beesource...ignore all those jibes aimed at Ace :-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 10:00:54 am »
Jeff, you know as well as I half the people are there for the entertainment.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »
Get Michael Bush's book, or go on his website and camp out.

I also highly recommend that you listen to the BK Corner podcast. Start with the first episode and work your way through. Kevin does a great and entertaining job discussing a wide variety of beekeeping topics. If you have a tablet or smartphone which runs android, you can download his podcasts through the "beyondpod" app. You can also listen on his web page. Check out "BK Corner." Kevin is a gifted teacher.

Go to youtube and look for Don, the Fat Bee Man. He has some good and practical pointers.

Best advice...Find an experienced beekeeper in your area who has a desire and ability to teach. Some folks are very successful at what they do, but are not able to teach others well. Others can teach well, but don't know what to do. Look for someone who can do both. Jump in their hip pocket and go to the bee yard. Talk bees.

Find a local beekeeping association, and start attending the meetings. Ask questions. You will find someone who is willing and able to help you get your feet under you.   

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 07:52:49 pm »
Hello! Welcome! I like Mr. Bush's book that's free on his website (Thanks Mr. Bush!) and I also like this little book that's free online

I just started last spring and when I was researching, I went to my library and checked out all the books they had on beekeeping. lol Then, through our inter-library state wide system, I was able to get Mr. Bush's in hard copy and also The Hive and the Honeybee and also some dvds. Check into that. It's a great way to get to see lots of books and then decide which ones you really want to invest $$$ in.

Chux, thanks for that app and podcast recommendation. I'll check that out.

http://www.??????.com/library/general_beekeeping/beekeeping_books_articles/At%20the%20Hive%20Entrance.pdf

Added....that link just will not paste properly. Maybe just google "??????.com books At The Hive Entrance" and it comes right up for me. It's a pdf.
Wow that name must be forbidden here sorry
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

anything