Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BeeMax medium supers as brood chambers  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Tyro

• House Bee
BeeMax medium supers as brood chambers
« on: April 22, 2009, 09:39:43 am »
Has anyone tried BeeMax mediums as brood chambers in an 'all medium' hive?  If so, how did you like them and how did they overwinter?  Thanks for replies

Mike

Offline beefun

• New Bee
Re: BeeMax medium supers as brood chambers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 07:39:13 am »
:shock:
Why would you want to do that it may not be good in your area because of the cold weather. I would stay with the deeps Because they will not be able to move around to get the food in a med hive and they may die off. I use two deeps for here in WI In the south they can but not here. Hope this helps I have 4 Max hives and two made it this year.
wishing all of you  better tomorrows and better bee keeping

Offline beemused

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »
I use medium Beemax supers as brood chambers in some of my hives and have had no problems overwintering with them. Can't really tell the difference between them and deep Beemax in any respect other than weight when doing a full inspection.

I am going to all mediums and use the deeps I have as enclosures for feeders when needed. I see no way to cut down Beemax deeps into mediums and keep their integrity.

Bruce

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 02:28:34 pm »
>Has anyone tried BeeMax mediums as brood chambers in an 'all medium' hive?

Yes.

> If so, how did you like them and how did they overwinter?

I was trying to get nucs through so I only had one box of bees in them and they didn't do that well.  A guy here locally has all medium beemax hives and they do awsome for him.  I overwinter in all mediums all the time.  The bees oeverwinter just as well and probably slightly better in mediums than in deeps as they get stuck on one side or the over of a comb less often with better communication in that gap between the boxes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin