Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Robbing?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
Robbing?
« on: March 30, 2008, 12:52:02 am »
Hello all. I'm still new to beekeeping and only had 1 hive last year and just got 5 more 3 days ago. I've been reading and looking a lot and still have not been able to figure out if I have robbing going on. I know they have their orientation flights and all that but there has been a ton of activity outside the hives now since I got them. I went ahead and reduced the entrances and seemed to have slowed it but not a lot. Should they have calmed down now or does this sound like robbing to some of you more expirenced folks? If so, what would you suggest to stop it. Thanks for any help and info. Wayne

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: Robbing?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 04:43:07 am »
More infor please.  New hives, whether from swarms or packages, work hard and heavy from the get go so a lot of activity is not a major concern.  In robbing look for bees landing on the sides of the box or above the entrance, hesitating, and then dashing in.  The other thing to check is for bees flying back and forth between hives.  With new hives when all are being fed it is possible for a round robin of robbing to develop.  Any fighting on the landing boards?

Observe and report back and we can give you better answers.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 10:27:03 am »
These were established hives I got from a experienced bk. There does not seem to be as much fighting as there was the first day of getting them. Also this does seem to be the strongest hive, the other four do not have near the activity at the entrance. They are still bringing in plenty of bee bread and I'm not doing any feeding. To me, it would not make since for them to be tring to rob the strongest hive but thats just me. What would you think. So maybe I'm ok after all but am trying to make sure before it's too late and I mess up due to my inexpirence. Thanks

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 11:15:58 am »
Activity is not a bad thing.  Fighting and wrestling is.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesrobbing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline WLF1961

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:48:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies. I've read through your website Michael and learned a lot as well as some other sites. Guess I'm just not sure of myself. I plan on getting to go back and spend a day or so with the guy I bought the bees from and get some tips but he is quiet busy now with his bees and lives 2 hrs away so kinda trying to learn enough on my own to get by till I can get with him or find someone close by to visit. Till then I will just keep reading from this forum, which is great, and go from there. Thanks

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:25:53 pm »
Close up the hive after dark and look at it after daylight.  If there are a lot of bees hovering and trying to get in, they are being robbed.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything