Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Essential Oils instead of chemicals?  (Read 8341 times)

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
Re: Essential Oils instead of chemicals?
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2009, 10:09:21 pm »
Should we just let the bees take care of themselves? Would they be better off ferile?  I have two trees that have colonies living in them over six years, and I have not done anything to them. I do get swarms off them that I put into hive bodies and frames. I believe things build up resistances to anything we continuously give them. I will not give up and will try to keep my ladies healthy. Thank you again Finski for all your valuable info.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2009, 09:51:48 pm »
I also use essential oils as an attractant for swarms.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 10:24:31 pm »
I have been adding wintergreen, peppermint oe lemongrass oils in with my pollen substitute patties.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2009, 07:34:07 pm »
I take it no one has any recipes with essential oils they want to share?

Offline naurot

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2009, 11:51:13 pm »
Virginia Tech did a study concerning thymol in hives and found reduced sperm in drones and reduced sperm viability in the spermatheca. A former Virginia state inspector stated he still uses thymol, but he requeens a couple of weeks after treatment.
James
Marking queen cells is gay!

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 02:10:59 pm »
That is sad, especially since they get kicked out of the hives in the winter to die. I wouldn't want to live that way!

Offline theriverhawk

• House Bee
    • Young Life of Shelby County, AL
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 07:31:30 pm »
Here is the recipe that I have used...I am questioning, though, the amount of oils.  I believe it's too low.  Once mixed into the syrup for feeding, it does not smell near as strong as syrup that contains actual Honey B Healthy.  Last batch I made was a gallon and a half. I ended up adding 2 drops of each oil to the gallon and 1 drop of each in the 1/2 gallon.  Then it smelled like my previous feedings with actual HBH.

Essential Oil Syrup Recipe

- 5 cups water
- 2 1/2 pounds of sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon lecithin granules (used as an emulsifier)
- 15 drops spearmint oil
- 15 drops lemongrass oil

Bring the water to a boil and mix in the sugar until dissolved. Once the sugar is dissolved remove the mixture from the heat and quickly add the lecithin and the essential oils. Stir until everything is evenly distributed. This solution should have a strong scent and not be left open around bees. Cool before using. Refrigerate unused portion. Will keep for well over a year, if cold.

Use one teaspoon per quart of syrup.

Tips:
• Lecithin granules may not go into solution very easily. Take a little syrup, like half a cup, add the lecithin, and then mix in a blender or use a stick blender to emulsify the granules. Then, add back to the mixture.
• If you have really hot tap water, then you will not have to boil the water to dissolve the sugar.
• Stores well in used 1 quart bottled water containers in the refrigerator.
• The concentrate may not be as thick as the original HBH formulation, if you have purchased the original before. But, it works just fine - goes into solution and smells of essential oils.
• One teaspoon per quart of syrup is just a reference point. When first starting out, you might use a little less, until you are comfortable the bees are taking it. Personally, I just open the bottle of concentrate and pour a large 'glug' into a gallon of syrup, purely eyeballing it. The bees take it just fine. There is little about beekeeping that is an exact science.
• The essential oil additive will greatly reduce the formation of mold in your top feeder - i.e. the syrup will last longer, if they are slow to take it.
• Be careful, if you have a weak hive and no flow. If the scent it too strong, it can actually induce robbing of the hive

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
I went to a conference this summer, along with some other members of this forum and we were told that using essential oils, among other things can throw off the pheremones in the hive there for reducing communication among the colony.
It was also stated that since sugar kills two of the microbes in the bees stomach that it would be wise to avoid essential oils as well, they recommend putting nothing in the hive.
If the feral bees don't need it I don't see why your bees would.
If they have been living in trees for 6 years as you said without any intervention then why would you treat them when they swarm into one of your hives?
It seems like an excessive amount of things to put into a pollen patty, 3 kinds of essential oil and now clove and garlic.
I would worry that are throwing off their systems, those essential oils are not a natural source of food for them so its not something they are normally exposed to and may actually be bad for them.
You mention that if you keep putting something in the hive you can make them resistant to it, what does that mean? Aren't you making them resistant to the essential oils? How does that help keep them healthy?
I really have to wonder when we start giving our bees vitamins, these after all are insects and nature, animals and insects has always evolved to co exist, unless man has gotten involved and disrupted that course.

I am not knocking anyone but I have been following this thread and if you have not gotten alot of responses its probably because its not a popular concept here, at least yet.

I would just advise to let the bees be bees and let them do as they please, try to enjoy them for what they are.

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2009, 11:35:31 pm »
At this conference, what type of foundation did they recommend? Man made wax? Are they in man made boxes and frames? Do you smoke your bees or use any kind of insect control? You say you do not feed your bees any sucrose, fructose, glucose or any type of sugar products? Do you use insecticides, herbicides or any chemicals outside around your house or property (two mile radius around your bees)?
I do not put all three oils in my patties. I alternate them, and only use the oils in moderation (drops per gal). I have only tried clove and garlic sprinkles a few times! You sound like I'm trying to overdose or over medicate my ladies. The amounts I mix in are minimal and alternating.
The feral swarm I caught off my bee tree was starting to have split wings, and a light mite problem. I was using small amounts (drops in gallons) of essential oils that helped the bees.
Do you really not understand how some living things build up resistance to things? Think of it like the flue bug.
There are many different ways to raise or take care of bees. I do not push my ways on anyone. Different strokes for different folks. I believe I take very good care of my bees and they show it. It bothers me if I see one dead bee, or accidentally smash one when I'm lifting frames. I am not saying I am a bee whisperer, I am just good to my little ladies and they are good to me..

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2009, 02:59:19 am »
I don't live near Natalie but I have been to the conference.

"At this conference, what type of foundation did they recommend?"
Recommendation is NOT to use any foundation.

"Man made wax?"
Man does not make wax...bees do...let them build their own wax and comb w/o foundation.

"Are they in man made boxes and frames?"
By law they have to be so that they can be inspected for disease.

"Do you smoke your bees or use any kind of insect control?"
I smoke my bees.  Some people don't.  What do you mean by "insect control"?

"You say you do not feed your bees any sucrose, fructose, glucose or any type of sugar products?"
Honey.  Feed your bees honey.

"Do you use insecticides, herbicides or any chemicals outside around your house or property (two mile radius around your bees)?"
I live in a rural community.  Most farms here grow hay and use no chemicals.  I do not even use lawn chemicals.  My back yard's lawn is basically wild flowers.

"You sound like I'm trying to overdose or over medicate my ladies."
You might be???

You asked a question and Natalie is just putting in her thoughts.  I call it "constructive criticism".
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 03:10:10 am »
weeBee Jammin,

Some people on this forum, me included, believe that bee cell size is important for bee health.  Search and read up on cell regression.  They also believe that feeding sugar or any OTHER chemical is actually disrupting the bee's immune system.  This could be one of the causes for CCD.  If the colony does not survive w/o the use of medicines and chemicals then perhaps it is a weak strain of bees and it will not (should not) survive.  That's why some of us are striving to acquire "feral" bees.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 03:06:45 pm »
Thank You Gaucho, my thoughts exactly.
He answered how I also would have.
I do not use chemicals in my yard as I grow all organic vegetables, what goes on two miles from me is out of my control.
I do what IS in my control to keep chemicals out of the hive and my bees do build all their own comb.
I don't know where you got the idea that I don't understand the concept of resistance, I just don't understand what YOU are doing in that regard and that is why I asked.
What exactly are you trying to get them resistant to?

Insect control? Not sure what you mean but unless you are talking about me swatting an occasional fly then everyone is on their own. I don't interfere with nature as far as that goes.

No I don't feed my bees any of that stuff either, we had alot of rain this year so I left them almost all of their honey, I can always harvest any extra that is left in the spring.
Following years from now I again will leave them more than enough honey to winter over on and take only what they can afford to give.
My intention is to never take more honey than I should so that I won't have to feed them sugar water.

Smoke? If needed, sometimes yes if its the only way I can work them that particular day.
I save all the flowers that I trim in the gardens, dry them and use them in the smoker.

My bees make their own combs, no foundation and they can build whatever size cells they need.
I use nothing at all in my hives and I leave them all their honey.
They are happy and healthy, all doing splendidly.
I think that answers all of your questions.

If you were going to let your bees build up a resistance to the natural things around them then why would you be putting essential oils in the hive? That is not allowing them to build a natural resistance to anything. That was the question.
I don't know why you would be offended, I am simply pointing out some of the contradictory and confusing information in your post and sharing what I learned about oils and interference in a hive, since you asked for advice...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:55:49 pm by Natalie »

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 05:35:54 pm »
Natalie & gauch10 have pretty much said what I would have said because I was also in attendance at the same conference they speak of. I rather not introduce anything to my hives except Honeybees  :-D
If I lose some, so be it, but I will also have survivor stock to work with and that is the key. Honeybees have been around longer than man by a long shot ( think about that )  :)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 06:02:05 pm »

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 07:41:03 pm »
Thanx for that sight; Finski sent the same research in an earlier post.  They do not test with the essential oils that I use; wintergreen, lemongrass, spearmint and peppermint. If you find any research on these it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 09:27:06 pm »
I scanned the thread for the link -couldn't find it so i posted -it is from august of 09-havent seen anything from research  
that is more curent-whats cool about this research is that it shows that the delivery method is sound-and the components from the oils where received by young larve-I dont think the oil type would make a difference for the delivery of components that the oil possesses-not to mention the fact that this research is peer reviewed- 8-) RDY-B
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 09:56:04 pm by rdy-b »

Offline weBEE Jammin

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 07:34:29 pm »
Thank you rdy-b, it is the most current.
This is some of the research's and studies Finski sent;
http://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=je.2009.135.144
http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleForFree.cfm?doi=b301510f&JournalCode=PO
It shows different results in numbers for different oils.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 08:56:12 pm »
Google "Faye Durham".
 Essential oils is her "Thing"
 I met her in Facebook. She seems very knowledgable on this sort of stuff..Very friendly too. Shes Beautiful too! Looks like a cross between Faye dunaway and jessica Lange!

your friend,
john

anything