Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to do with a queen?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
What to do with a queen?
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:27:52 pm »
I have a queen who is down to only about 10-12 workers.  Any suggestions on what I can do?  No one around me has a need to replace an old queen.  Any way to keep her alive until the spring when I may get a swarm to add her to?
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: What to do with a queen?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »
Unless you can get some bees somewhere (a few from a strong hive maybe?) they will not be able to get going again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline IndianaHoney

• New Bee
    • Indiana Honey Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:26:12 am »
If this queen is in a hive, you can bring her and the workers inside in a closed up nuc box. As MB said, they won't be able to get going again without more bees. But if she makes it to spring by some chance, you could give her a couple frames of bees and brood.

However you have to question why she is down to 10-12 workers. Was there a disease of some kind? Did you find dead bees? If not this could be a case of CCD and you may not want to save them (except for research). Maybe she has bad genetics, etc.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 06:55:53 am »
I have a queen who is down to only about 10-12 workers.  Any suggestions on what I can do?  No one around me has a need to replace an old queen.  Any way to keep her alive until the spring when I may get a swarm to add her to?

Place her in a vile and use her for swarm lure. She sounds inferior or old.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 09:18:46 am »
She's probably not inferior. 
She came from a cutout in September, we were in a drought, and it was the dearth.  So they never had time to get built up.  She was a good layer even in the fall so I'd like to keep her and the potential feral genetics she has.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 02:44:47 pm »
She's probably not inferior. 
She came from a cutout in September, we were in a drought, and it was the dearth.  So they never had time to get built up.  She was a good layer even in the fall so I'd like to keep her and the potential feral genetics she has.

I see. Good luck with her, just maybe she'll survive til spring, then you could do a two frame nuc with brood added to get her kick started with some backup support.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 04:32:37 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  I got a frame of bees/honey from a friend yesterday.  I'll check to see if they have freed her after work today.  Now my other queen is getting down to just a few workers, so I'll have to do the same thing for her.  I'm ordering some packages and starting early this year!  No more late season cutouts unless I add them to other hives.  Learning, learning, and learning.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

anything