Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: using a hive top ventilation box.  (Read 3834 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
using a hive top ventilation box.
« on: June 24, 2007, 01:48:15 am »
I just built the best looking vented top box i've seen. I just don't know if it will work the way i think it should. I basically took a 5 1/2" box and cut 2" holes in it and inserted 2" pvc 45's in each side facing down from the rain. I then placed screen on the inside over each hole to keep critters out and workers in. Now i am planning on setting this on top of the inner cover over the supers and then placing the telescoping cover over it . I need to know if i should place screen wire over the inner cover hole in the center to keep the bees from coming into this dead space or leave the inner cover hole open. I would think they wuold build all kinds of burr comb if left open. Also the pvc works well because you can cap 1,2 ,3 ,or even all 4 during the year as the temps. drop.  Let me know any suggestions because it goes into practice tommorrow evening.

thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: using a hive top ventilation box.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 03:04:53 pm »
Sounds like it should work fine.  I would have settled for just drilling the holes at a 45 and not bothered with the PVC.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 09:58:31 am »
I prefer to leave the screen off the inner cover holes.  If the bees don't have access to that area, all kinds of spiders, ants, roaches, earwigs, etc, etc. take up residence in there.  They also seem to propolize the screen.  I have never had any build comb in the vent box.

The vent boxes from bee works have the holes drilled at an angle to prevent rain from getting in,  and they are positioned so that you flip the box over for winter and the telescopic cover covers the holes. 

I have since just built the boxes with the holes drilled straight as the telescopic cover provides protection and I just shove a piece of insulation in for winter.

You may want to consider a more simplistic design if you intend to build many.  If you only have a couple, then design away :-D

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:38:16 am »
I find that propping the lid with a twig works just as well and is a lot less work and expense.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »
what about to much air through the hive i live where it is no coller than 85 mostly 95 right now is there a chance for chalk brood and if so how will i know before it's to late?

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 09:31:04 am »
Well, i took the screen off of the inner cover hole, so i will see this weekend what comes of it i guess. Hopefully it all will work fine because the bees are sure hanging out alot at night. Also i just took the entrance reducer i wasn't using at the time and placed it under the front of the telescoping cover for a little venting on the other hives until i see how the box i made works out.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:34:21 pm »
Check out Honey run Apiaries version of vented top. It comes w/ winter insulation too. I bought a few, like'm as thet are simple to copy, and I will. They also offer buiding plans, cant recall if they cost anything.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »
My hives have vent boxes on top, and I've taken to just leaving the inner cover off completely, since the vent holes are screened and the bees can't get out anyhow.  The restriction on air flow is not set by the hole in the inner cover, and with a screened bottom board, it's like having a wide open straight shot through from bottom to top.

-- Kris

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 02:33:43 pm »
Well, i took the screen off of the inner cover hole, so i will see this weekend what comes of it i guess. Hopefully it all will work fine because the bees are sure hanging out alot at night. Also i just took the entrance reducer i wasn't using at the time and placed it under the front of the telescoping cover for a little venting on the other hives until i see how the box i made works out.

Hey Newbee,

How did this cover work out with the screen removed from the inner cover?????I want to know because I have a similar ventilated cover and I have kept the screen on.

Was wondering how the bees did wandering around in all that space?????

Thanks
Annette

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 08:52:55 am »
 ;) Worked great bees couldn't be happier. They have no burcomb at all and are an inch thick on the inner cover none out side. I am going to be building more it looks like. Thanks for everyones opinions too.