Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Insurance for removals?  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Insurance for removals?
« on: July 01, 2008, 04:32:04 pm »
I just got a call about doing a cutout, and they asked for a certificate of insurance. I'm not a contractor, what kind of insurance do I need/should I have for this?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Insurance for removals?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 12:15:25 am »
Liability, they sometimes want workers comp, you could ask them.

If you know a contractor maybe he can let you work as a sub under his insurance.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:53 pm »
I am investigating through my legal contacts the cost of becoming an LLC and getting insurance for all of these liability issues. Given the fact I sell food, climb rooves, cut out walls of homes, suspend from ladders and keep bees in a towen w/ 65K people is 3 sq miles, i think its time I did something. also, my name is really getting thrown around locally and time will catch up to me. I think the time has come to act like a real business.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline toolmaster

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 10:51:01 am »
Registering a business in NJ at least is easy. Goto the state page and click on business fill out the form and send in your $150. Until you get your certificate give people your business card and name. Then make it clear you're acting as a business; say "I am doing this as 'beeremoval LLC'." You must make it clear that you are acting as a business and not you personally. If any one sues. They end up having to sue an empty LLC. That's why the call it a limited liability company. The liability is on the LLC's head and if it owns nothing their is no recovery.  Otherwise your personal assests (house, car, savings)are on the line. Don't lose everything over a hobby. No matter how profitable/charitable it may be.

Then you can get a bank account, insurance, and other business related stuff. Have what ever insurance you need to cover you and your equipment in case of loss (theft/damage) and long and short term disabilty and life insurance for your self. One fall off a ladder can ruin your income for a very long time, even permanetly.

Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just some common sense business advice.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 04:42:45 pm »
Registering a business in NJ at least is easy. Goto the state page and click on business fill out the form and send in your $150. Until you get your certificate give people your business card and name. Then make it clear you're acting as a business; say "I am doing this as 'beeremoval LLC'." You must make it clear that you are acting as a business and not you personally. If any one sues. They end up having to sue an empty LLC. That's why the call it a limited liability company. The liability is on the LLC's head and if it owns nothing their is no recovery.  Otherwise your personal assests (house, car, savings)are on the line. Don't lose everything over a hobby. No matter how profitable/charitable it may be.

Then you can get a bank account, insurance, and other business related stuff. Have what ever insurance you need to cover you and your equipment in case of loss (theft/damage) and long and short term disabilty and life insurance for your self. One fall off a ladder can ruin your income for a very long time, even permanetly.

Keep in mind I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice. Just some common sense business advice.

This is good advice. LLC's are a wonderful thing.

Moonshae something else to think about, ask a few insurance companies if you can take out a 6 month policy, some allow this sort of thing. Removing bees is seasonal and it will save you some bucks.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com