Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Strange day but good.  (Read 2510 times)

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
Strange day but good.
« on: March 13, 2013, 10:19:43 pm »
Was off work today running errands and had a first!
While traveling down a state road I hit an airborn swarm of bees with my truck!   Had bees splattering across the windshield for a 30 yard stretch then nothing. 
Turned right around and found them in the air. Stopped and hoped they would land in the tree line along the road but no such luck.  Watched them fly over the trees and off into the woods.

Went back home and made a few nucs.   Went inside and fell asleep in recliner to be awakened by the phone.
The caller was a man that I had removed two swarms for two days ago. 
He had 2 more swarms in the same location and no hives on the property.
So I hived them and returned home back to the comfy recliner to tell this story to my Internet friends.

2 double swarms on the same trees in 2 days is rare enough but combine that with hitting an airborne swarm
With my truck in the same day????   
Strange day indeed.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
Re: Strange day but good.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:57:42 pm »
OK. Now I am upset. I WANT SPRING! were having a freeze warning tonight. and I have a cutout set up for the 22nd. I want swarms.  :-P

John

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 11:30:44 pm »
Cool day Bailey.  Sounds like a great place for a trap line.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 11:46:04 pm »
Hope you have many more days like that.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 11:58:20 pm »
wait a few days and check the attitude of those bees.  i had a swarm i caught one year that i suspected to be africanized mainly because they swarmed multiple times in one week about a month after i caught them.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:03 am »
Way to go Bailey, that is pretty good catching 4 swarms in the same place in 2 days.  I haven't seen a swarm yet this year.  Last year I got 3 swarms out of a fig tree in 12 hours.  Got one out early in the morning and 2 in the same tree that afternoon.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »
Vmmartin

You can bet the traps are going up in that area this week. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:20 pm »
WOW!  You are going to have quite the yard what with all your nucs and swarms!  You going into business? :)

I sure wish my days off resulted in 2 swarms!

love,
ziffa

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 08:14:27 pm »
Been selling nucs for 3 years ziff.  All the swarms build my bee yards.  All the nucs I make go to others needing bees.
This way I screen the new bees before making queens with them and no one gets a bad batch of bees.
I try to keep around 50 to 70 hives going including nucs.
I also pull frames of eggs from full nucs to make more nucs.
Bailey.  

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 08:27:11 pm »
Sounds like you're busy.
Swarm season is just fixing to take off here in Central Arkansas.
I'm geared up and ready.
I've got ads on Craigslist so it's just a matter of time.
Got 30 swarm traps and set some already.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 10:46:11 pm »
OK. Now I am upset. I WANT SPRING! were having a freeze warning tonight. and I have a cutout set up for the 22nd. I want swarms.  :-P

John

Hah! You guys (and gals) down south don't know how good you have it... Spring!? YOU can't wait for spring?! When did you have any winter!!! :roll:
Now if you want to know about wishing for spring to come, talk to us up here in the Northeast!

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 11:50:43 pm »
Aaah, sure we do.  We have very little snow, really cold weather and such a long time between getting into the hive.  Spring starts early and fall last a long time. 
Yeap we know how good it is to live in the south.

Joe

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 12:13:29 am »

John

Hah! You guys (and gals) down south don't know how good you have it... Spring!? YOU can't wait for spring?! When did you have any winter!!! :roll:
Now if you want to know about wishing for spring to come, talk to us up here in the Northeast!

Hey don't count me out yet I have family up in New Bedford. We would go up for Christmas and spend about a mounth with the white stuff.

John

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 09:01:01 am »
Been selling nucs for 3 years ziff.  All the swarms build my bee yards.  All the nucs I make go to others needing bees.
This way I screen the new bees before making queens with them and no one gets a bad batch of bees.
I try to keep around 50 to 70 hives going including nucs.
I also pull frames of eggs from full nucs to make more nucs.
Bailey. 

Bailey, are you full time or sidelining?
Later,
Ray