Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beginning Anew  (Read 5094 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Beginning Anew
« on: January 06, 2008, 01:08:22 pm »
Sadly as some of you know, my mentor passed away before I ever really got to glean any major knowledge from him.  It seems his method was primarily using foundationless frames.

So as we creep into Spring ( not so far away )...where do I begin again?

An empty 8 frame, buy a package of bees, a queen and dump them into the box onto what type of foundation? HSC?  These are empty, so I am guessing that I feed the bees until they have some decent stores?

After stores are made and I am ready to add a super, what goes in the super?  Frames with SC starter strips, or empties?  I keep reading about rubber bands and wire as well...is that necessary?

Sorry if I keep asking the same questions...

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Beginning Anew
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:01 pm »
An empty 8 frame, buy a package of bees, a queen and dump them into the box onto what type of foundation? HSC?  These are empty, so I am guessing that I feed the bees until they have some decent stores?

After stores are made and I am ready to add a super, what goes in the super?  Frames with SC starter strips, or empties?  I keep reading about rubber bands and wire as well...is that necessary?

A full box of HSC would be the quickest way to get them on small cell. I would think (I never used it) that after they have filled that out pretty much that you could then place frames with starter strips or comb guides in a box above and go from there. Probably feed for awhile until a good flow is going. The rubber bands are for when you have to cut the comb out of one place and "tie" it into a frame. The wires are to strengthen the comb for using an extractor. I haven't wired or use extractor yet.

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 03:24:05 pm »
>An empty 8 frame, buy a package of bees, a queen and dump them into the box onto what type of foundation? HSC?  These are empty, so I am guessing that I feed the bees until they have some decent stores?

From a logical point of view, there is nothing wrong with continuing with foundationless frames.  There's also nothing wrong with HSC.  Take your pick.  Which one feels right to you?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:47:27 pm »
Well Kiddo you can always do what Charles Martin Simmon did it worked.
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 12:13:21 am »
I would just dump mine packages into foundationless frames.  Last spring I used starter strips but have found foundationless easier and just as good for the bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:07:39 am »
Sharon, you sound sad, this comes from the sensitive understanding of another woman.  It is a sad thing that your mentor passed, but you will have mentors here, that will be your strength, to draw on the expertise of our forum friends.  You will always have many different methods of beekeeping thrown at you, this is where you will have to make choices about what you want to do with YOUR bees.  There will be so many varied answers, draw on the ones that suit best your ideals.  This will be your first year of keeping bees and you need to feel comfortable.  But as has been said, what goes on depends entirely upon what you want to do with your bees, what type of cell size, etc., etc. 

You will firstly get package bees or nucs.  That is your first step.  And you must decide what you want to do with regard to cell size, etc.

Like Brian said, foundationless is good, but so is HSC.   You must feed your bees when you first get them regardless if they are nucs or packages.  They need this food until they can begin to grow big to process nectar to honey, and gather lots of pollen.  If you don't feed them, they will die.

Sharon, keep asking questions.  When you ask questions, clearly and I mean really clearly -- define what your question is.  If you don't get an answer that you find suitable, ask again, asking questions is the best way to learn.  Hope this may help you a little bit.  Have a great and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:43:14 am »
Sorry for the loss of a mentor and knowledge!  Hope this all starts out good for you...

If you aren't using drawn comb or wax foundation (only HSC or foundationless) you might want to take the precaution of a queen excluder under the hive or perhaps spraying the equipment with some HBH (honybeehealthy or lemongrass oil) sugar syrup.

Drawn comb (and probably wax foundation to some degree) give the bees some reason to call that box home.  If all they have is plastic, they might decide that there are better boxes out there and skedaddle.  I imagine that the feeling of watching your hopes, dreams, and $60 fly off in a cloud can't bee good!!! :roll:

Maybe it isn't all that common, and it hasn't happened to me, but I know swarms try this from time to time....

Rick
Rick

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:39 pm »
OOhh all excellent information for sure...I have no idea what I am going to do...I am still hoping that my one hive makes it through Winter...so far, so good.

Okay I have some decisions to make I guess...

Thank you...all of you~*~

anything