Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Changing Out Existing Hive to HSC  (Read 14081 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Changing Out Existing Hive to HSC
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2008, 01:31:25 pm »
 :-D-stugatz  ;) 8-) RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 07:29:22 pm »
Why would anyone use the 7/11 then...it sounds as though it is not good for anything...

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 08:01:11 pm »
Because you dont want the queen laying eggs in the honey supper -it is not for brood chamber-RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 10:50:40 pm »
Ugh..so if i use the 4.9 or 5.1 in brood boxes, and this "7/11" in the supers, that is the way to go???????

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2008, 12:16:56 am »
Ugh..so if i use the 4.9 or 5.1 in brood boxes, and this "7/11" in the supers, that is the way to go???????

That would be a very good plan.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2008, 12:28:50 am »
keep it the same -like frame size so it is interchangeable -never know when you will want to divide or add honey frame to supplement feed -I always try to keep my honey suppers white wax but you never know -RDY-B

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2008, 12:42:57 am »
keep it the same -like frame size so it is interchangeable -never know when you will want to divide or add honey frame to supplement feed -I always try to keep my honey suppers white wax but you never know -RDY-B

I am all for uniformity. I use it myself. But would her plan work. Yes. Queens don't like to lay in 7/11 so it can be a good way to have a honey super. The fun thing about beekeeping is you can ask a question and get 10 different answers all of which are right. They may not be right for everyone. But they might just work for someone else.  :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2008, 02:29:04 am »
what is it that they say hind sight is 20-20 ;)                                any way interesting side note about 7/11 foundation it is designed for cut comb production -soo that means if you use it you will have to wire your frames so you can extract -RDY-B

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 12:19:55 pm »
"Fo Shizzle" Guys  I have to wire this stuff...I am a clutz with that kinda thing...is there a video or how to?    Ack...no mentors around here for me in the small cell world...I am verklempt!

What other option do I have for the honey supers ( foundation-wise )...similar to 7/11, I will go to MB's site and lave a look around there...

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2008, 02:24:27 pm »
>Why would anyone use the 7/11 then...it sounds as though it is not good for anything...

It's only good for supers and it's made for comb honey.  It's made to keep the queen from laying in the supers.

I've used it without wire and extracted it for years.  I prefer to not wire it even if I intend to extract some of it as I have the option to pick the prettiest for cut comb and extract the rest.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2008, 03:59:34 pm »
yes MB but you have surpassed the awkward stage of being a newbee -first spin and they will blow out -cut comb is one thing -but extracting frames that will give you season after season is another-DAY VALLEY knowing  the interests you have expressed i think you would be quit happy with the PF120 no muss no fuss and it is considered by some to be small cell-that with the 4.9 wax in the brood chamber should get you going -if later you need frames for a divide or a swarm that you will catch -you will be armed with equipment that will satisfied your needs -MB can tell you about the benefits of PF120   KEEPING IT SIMPLE IN CALI -RDY-B

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 05:15:13 pm »
This info has all been great for me too. I am in the process of introducing starter strips into the brood chambers. So I think I shall put the PF120 from mann lake into the honey supers.

I think that is my decision. Almost certain.

Annette from Placerville California where we may get snow!!!!!!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 05:33:51 pm »
ok so put pf 120 in the honey super...i hope they come in shallow size...

annette...it feels like snow here...just rain though...bbbrrrr

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 05:42:51 pm »
It is starting to snow up here now. On and off.  Maybe hail actually. But very cold.

I am going with all mediums in my hive, but do not know what other sizes they have. Call them. I know they have medium size.

Stay warm,
Annette

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:48 pm »
>yes MB but you have surpassed the awkward stage of being a newbee -first spin and they will blow out

I can easily blow out a wired frame.  I can easily extract an unwired frame.  Either way you should make sure the wax is mature enough (not soft like putty) and start slow and work your way up.  Don't spin them fast until they are at least half empty.  I've blow out as many wired frames as I have unwired frames and since I learned to be careful, not many of either.

>i think you would be quit happy with the PF120

Probably.  I like them fine.  A little flimsy, but inexpensive, small cell and well accepted.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin