Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Post Package Install: 3 day queen check  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Zinc

• New Bee
Post Package Install: 3 day queen check
« on: April 22, 2008, 11:00:52 pm »
Installed my first ever package of bees this past Sunday. It was truely awesome in every sense of the word! (Thanks all for the bountyful information that resides in these forums!)

Thursday morning, I'm planning on checking to see if the queen has been released from her cage.

Will I need the smoker to go into the hive this time?

The install went smooth (I didn't even have to use gloves!) - the bees, of course, having not much to guard. I assume that they'll be a little more upset when I barge into a home that they're trying to make.

Thanks.

-Craig

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Post Package Install: 3 day queen check
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:52:40 pm »
You will probably still get away without using the smoker. But, as they build numbers and really set up shop, don't be surprised when one day you pop the top and you get nailed. You will wish you had smoked 'em.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 12:02:31 am »
I waited 10 days to check the queen, I used light smoke, all went very well!

Sharon

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 12:29:12 am »
Go ahead and use the smoker, because it'll give you practice for later!..It will also make you look more proffessional!..At any rate, for what its worth.....When I get stung, I'm not using a smoker...But I always think,"Dang it...should've lit my smoker"!
 I dont know how it will work for you, but for me, my smoker always works best when I'm done messing with my bees...Smoke pours out of it then!!

your friend,
john

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 09:09:38 am »
Tip, light the smoker at least 10 minutes before going into the colonies,  ;) :) :) :)  Beautiful day in this great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything