Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Cams?  (Read 3568 times)

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
Bee Cams?
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:10:17 pm »
I haven't come across this subject yet, and really have not done a lot of digging through the archives, but I was wondering if anyone has used small endoscope type cameras in the hives for inspection instead of having to open them up?
Thank you

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee Cams?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:11:40 pm »
I haven't  think that is something a Proctologist would use

kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 09:05:39 pm »
I haven't  think that is something a Proctologist would use

kirko

As long as you made sure it was clean.....

I think its a cool idea.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:01:22 pm »
I mean after all look where's its been.  I think I'd perfer a keyhole camera.  James Bond might have a spare. LOL 
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 08:23:10 am »
Even if you got one new (and unused), it might be hard to control without digging into the cells (not even sure it would fit in the beespace between them) or squishing bees. It's designed for something much more spacious and that can easily take a poke or several if not guided perfectly along.

It would be neat if it worked, though. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 08:25:43 am »
i'm almost sure you couldn't do a good inspection with that type of camera, it would be good though for studying bees and stuff, but to inspect if there are eggs etc etc..no way, bees would surelly get in the way the second you pushed it in.plus you would need to hve a light on it, otherwise you wouldn't see nothing.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:10:26 am »
Wouldn't the bees propolize it?

LT  :-D

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:31:02 am »
I wouldnt think you would have a good inspection, using that but I have been thinking about getting a waterproof webcam and putting it on the hive enterances so I can watch from my tv.  Yeah i know what your thinking but I am lazy  :-D

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:29:44 pm »
I wouldnt think you would have a good inspection, using that but I have been thinking about getting a waterproof webcam and putting it on the hive enterances so I can watch from my tv.  Yeah i know what your thinking but I am lazy  :-D

There's always the observation hive option...
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:56 pm »
Hey! some of the worlds greatest inventions were created by lazy people.  One hated to refill the kerosine laterns so he invented the light bulb.  Another hated walking across town to talk to a friend so he invented the telephone.  One much earlier in history got tired of lugging things around so he invented the wheel.  An Old navy Chief once told me if you want to get something simplified find a lazy person, they'll find the easiest way possible to do a job.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 02:32:39 am »
There's always the observation hive option...

A lawn chair converts my outdoor hive into a observation hive.  Better than watching TV.  Grab a cold beer, kick my feet up, find a shady spot (my hive is under a old tree), and watch the girls come and go.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 06:37:31 am »
Would be neat to try if you can get one without a perscription. Medical equipment is tightly controled and I don't think that the b/w mechanic models will be clear enough.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 04:47:28 pm »
Well I have a four foot privacy fence blocking me from seeing my hives so I would have to stand and watch, plus its hot outside guys...lol... Anyway I going to get the webcam and run it so a channel on my tv will let me watch them. 

anything