Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where to buy essential oils?  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Stone

• House Bee
Re: Where to buy essential oils?
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »
I've gotten my oils from Young Living also.  These oils are the gold standard. 

When I collect swarms, I always use a drop or two of lemongrass oil from this supplier on a cotton ball and dab some on the inside of the box I put the swarm into. The bees love it.  After collecting a very large swarm , I got a call the next morning from the gal who originally contacted me.  She said there were "thousands" of bees on the sidewalk in front of the tree I removed the swarm from.  This got me curious.  I rode over and sure enough, there weren't thousands but there were a good many bees on the sidewalk.  A few hundred stragglers from the night before.  They were gathering around the sodden cotton ball I dropped in the dark while it was raining.  I scooped them up along with the cotton ball. I guess they'd have done the same with any brand lemon grass oil, but it was an interesting sight to see.

Offline Poppi

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 05:17:20 pm »
Tommyt...  LOL!!  my big, fat, greek wedding...   I get it...

Haddon...  hope you give 'em the cheap stuff...  so do they make "spiked" honey????

rdy-b...  I won't forget the lecithin...  if I try to make the concentrate...    when I get more hives it may be worth a try...  but now it's less trouble to buy honey-b-healthy or Pro- Health in pints...

thanks for all the info...  I'm ordering from Young Living...  they are proud of their stuff...  pricey but I don't need much.  thanks again!

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 05:24:01 pm »
Dont forget the lecithin crystals for the emulsifier--or the oil wont stay mixed in the syrup it will float back to the top--RDY-B

I don't use the emulsifier.  The oil goes where the syrup goes.  Which is in & on the bees.  I never see any oil or oily build up in the hive top feeder.  The bees seem to get all of it.  Plus the bees drink from the top where the oil is.
Make Mead!

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 07:44:39 pm »
Quote from: Hemlock link=topic= #msg289783 date=1318451041
Dont forget the lecithin crystals for the emulsifier--or the oil wont stay mixed in the syrup it will float back to the top--RDY-B

I don't use the emulsifier.  The oil goes where the syrup goes.  Which is in & on the bees.  I never see any oil or oily build up in the hive top feeder.  The bees seem to get all of it.  Plus the bees drink from the top where the oil is.
lecithin is cheap-mix into water then add oils -make syrup from that water-try it  :) RDY-B

Offline Haddon

• House Bee
  • FEMA Trailer Removal
    • Mikes Bee Removal
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 01:32:24 pm »
I wouldn't think young oils could be any better than https://www.lorannoils.com/ and lorann is not cheap reason I got the wholesale agreement and try and keep it active by buying for friends if they need any.

Lorann oils are made for candy production hence them being food grade.

Food Grade is always better than Therapy grade
And its what the fatbeeman suggest using.

Never use aroma therapy oils in feed they can be extracted chemically instead of the distillation process.

Correct me if I am wrong but when I go to young oils I find tons of message oils and I have know clue if they have to pass FDA inspection on message oils I know they don't on aroma therapy oils.

anything