Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plasctic crates and fitting frames  (Read 1708 times)

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
Plasctic crates and fitting frames
« on: September 01, 2013, 09:56:18 pm »
Ok, back at it with more stupid questions.

I saw mentioned somewhere on this forum the utilizing of plastic tubs WITH lids to move frames of honey away from the hives without/ or less bee interference.

WHAT SIZE tubs FIT the frames?? Is there a chart some place that has the data for the different depth frames?
In my case mediums. What size tub fits what size frames/supers as the case might be.

I am thinking that a hanging folder frame cut to fit might hold some frames.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: Plasctic crates and fitting frames
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »
You could get a good size plastic bin with a lid to put the frames in, you would want it big enough in depth and length for the frames and be able to put the lid on.  I have a board that is bigger that a super that I put on a Dollie, then an empty super to hold the frames, and another board to go on top of the supers.  Part of the time I use a telescoping top for the top.  The bees aren't to bad in the spring but can bee in the summer or fall to keep off the frames.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:55:17 pm »
I use a super and keep a towel thrown over it. Like Joe said its not much of a problem if there's a flow on but today at my house it was near impossible. Woody

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 11:01:30 pm »
Ok, back at it with more stupid questions.

No such thing.

I found some tubs at Wal-Mart.  They are 17 3/4" W X  29 9/16" D  X  7 7/8" H.  41.2qt. Ziploc brand. Not that you have to buy those. They hold 10 medium frames full they weigh about 50lbs.
Later,
Ray

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:36 pm »

[/quote]

No such thing.

I found some tubs at Wal-Mart.  They are 17 3/4" W X  29 9/16" D  X  7 7/8" H.  41.2qt. Ziploc brand. Not that you have to buy those. They hold 10 medium frames full they weigh about 50lbs.
[/quote]

THAT was the kinda answer I was looking for!! I KNOW you guys (and gals) have been down this road before. Although I also realize this is an international audience, sometime the little things (local....sorta) count.

Thank -you!!!

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 09:17:21 am »
Just do like the rest of us and take an empty frame shopping with you. I would also check out Menards if you have one close by.

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 10:04:05 am »
I got some plastic bus tubs at Sams club that seem to be made for medium frames. No lids so I drape a towel over the top. Works great!

Alfred