Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cockroaches  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Blackwater Bee

• New Bee
Cockroaches
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:39 am »
Yes, I am finding 2 or 3 cockroaches under the telescoping cover and hanging out on the sides on my weekly visits, I usually just
smash them with my hive tool and scrap them off.

Is there some underlying problem I should be concerned with because this is the first time I have experienced these critters
in 6 years, but then again, it is a new yard. I see no issues in the health of this hive thus far.

What to do  :?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Cockroaches
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
One of my yards with 20 colonies has the same thing.  The ones in these are wood roaches and are up to 3/4 of a inch long.  They gross me out but haven't done any damage in a few years

Offline Riggs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 10:07:38 am »
I have the same thing in one hive out of nine. Every time I open it up there are one or two under the cover. Never seen them in another hive. 
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another. ~
Ernest Hemingway

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:40:54 am »
They're a bit gross and can freak you out when they jump out of the hive but they don't hurt anything and are all part of keeping bees...best to just ignore them.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:52:45 am »
Bees and roaches simply go hand in hand. Approx 95% of my removals have American roaches near or in the hive I'm removing, often feeding on spilled honey. I find them rather disgusting insects but they are there just as SHBs are present. If you really don't want them around you could put out bait placements. I just don't bother with them.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Blackwater Bee

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »
Thanks to all for the responses, I gather it is not an issue at this point.  :-D

Offline Bradeeen

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:15 am »
No doubt females are much afraid off from cockroaches in house and want to get rid off from these as soon as possible. You can use insect killer spray to remove cockroaches in your house. Other wise concerned with a pest removal company.

anything