Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warning: Wear your hat and veil  (Read 10038 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: ok, lets do the math
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 02:18:12 pm »
Quote from: thomashton
Oh, and a soft blow on the bees will have them run down the frames just as fast as a puff of smoke will.

HOLY BEE STINGS BATMAN!!!!!

What kind of bees you got? If I get a frame too close to the nose and breath on them they get very angery.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Warning: Wear your hat and veil
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 03:09:52 pm »
Nice to see the different styles of beekeeping here, BUT sooner or later, " POW, right in the Kisser "  :shock:

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 03:51:34 pm »
>BUT sooner or later, " POW, right in the Kisser "

Not often, but yes sometimes it happens, as I well know.  :)

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
Re: ok, lets do the math
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 05:13:21 pm »
Quote from: Jerrymac
Quote from: thomashton
Oh, and a soft blow on the bees will have them run down the frames just as fast as a puff of smoke will.

HOLY BEE STINGS BATMAN!!!!!

What kind of bees you got? If I get a frame too close to the nose and breath on them they get very angery.

I must have docile bees if you guys are saying yours are otherwise. As I am just a first year, I don't know differently.

They are Italian/Carniolan hybrids that came out of the Sacramento area. don't know where exactly as I got them through the local bee store.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline ddarity

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 06:35:33 pm »
They must be Sooner fans!

Now if I wear my bright blue tee shirt with "TEXAS" written in big fluorescent orange/red letters on the front, for some reason my normally well-behaved little sweethearts get all stirred up! :)

JKJ[/quote]

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 02:35:07 am »
I sometimes blow VERY GENTLY on a frame to move bees, but there are times even gentle blowing will upset them. My understanding is that bees don't care for the carbon dioxide in a persons breath.

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 01:01:12 pm »
OK, I got my 4th sting of the season yesterday, but it was all my fault. I put my ungloved hand down right on a stinger and when I pulled up, got the hit.

I haven't been in the hives for 2 weeks or so and one definately needed more room--brace comb everywhere. Another hive had fully drawn, filled and capped one side of a frame but didn't build off the face of the foundation, but from the top. So, there was a hollow space on the back side between the foundation and the comb. I was able to scrape along the foundation and pull out a big piece of cut comb.  :D

They have to rebuild that of course, but I got some early honey and they were otherwise too interested in cleaning up spilled honey to care about stinging me.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

anything