Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: package transporting  (Read 7797 times)

Offline BMBeeFarm

• New Bee
package transporting
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:47:04 am »
I am just curious how everyone else gets there bee packages home.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: package transporting
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 08:45:50 am »
I kept mine in the trunk of my car last year, but it was a cool, cloudy day. I wouldn't have done the same if it were sunny and warm.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 09:05:09 am »
I put mine on the passenger seat of my car so I could listen to all the buzzing.  Made me a little nervous though since it was my first one and I kept wondering what would happen if it came apart and my car would be full of angry bees.  :-)

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 09:13:44 am »
Had a problem with the truck so I stuck them in the back seat of my car. Like sean I was a little nervous wondering what I would do if the thing came open :shock: It's all rural back roads where I pick mine up at so there is no place to pull over other than someones driveway.. when there is one.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:18:28 am »
Kinda embarrasing, but I actually put a seatbelt on that package.  lol

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 09:26:41 am »
My wife and I drove down to Rossmans (about 1 1/2 hrs. away) and picked up ours. We were in our SUV and my wife thought they would ride home on the top. When she saw all those buzzing bees I thought that me and the bees were going to ride home on the top. Fred Rossman did a good job of assuring her that they could not escape.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:27:38 am »
i put them in the trunk of the car and stopped to see if it was overly hot in there a couple of times. it went well. it was an hour and a half drive. i got them at brushy mountain.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 10:56:16 am »
Just make sure they are sealed up and secure, no matter where you put them. I put packages in my truck, as well as swarms I've captured and placed in cardboard boxes. Just make sure they are sealed!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 11:19:51 am »
My wife and I drove down to Rossmans (about 1 1/2 hrs. away) and picked up ours. We were in our SUV and my wife thought they would ride home on the top. When she saw all those buzzing bees I thought that me and the bees were going to ride home on the top. Fred Rossman did a good job of assuring her that they could not escape.
Steve   

Oooh, Steve, now that made me go about to that squeaky laughing, hee, hee.  (am I annoying people yet when I speak of that squeaky laugh?, hee, hee).  Sometimes I like to think I am annoying people, hee, hee.

My package bees have always gone on the seat beside me in the truck or in the back seat of my car.

Sean, about the seatbelt and the package bees.  Great and wonderful idea!!!!!  Reminds me of when I took my Sister's hamsters back to the pet store. They were in a cage and she made me put the seatbelt around the cage, I thought she was crackers.  But then half way there, I looked back to them and the cage had shifted slightly.  That would have been a bummer if it had fallen over and they escaped into my car.  Thank goodness for seat belts. Have a wonderful, great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:48:23 pm »
I just placed mine under the tool box in the back of the truck.  I had my oldest grandaughter along as navigator (reading the directions on how to get there) so there wasn't room in the cab as the back seat was already full of things from the feed store.  I think the fresh air kept them cool.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 09:07:09 pm »
I had mine right next to me in the passenger seat and I talked to them on the ride home about their new home and how happy they would be. They were pretty quiet the whole ride home until I sprayed them with sugar water. I was so excited that day. Love the seat belt idea.

Annette

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 09:21:42 pm »
had someone sit on the box in the pick-up bed after i had done a cut-out.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 10:06:09 pm »
  Yep, Right next to me in the front seat.
 Annette, My experience was kind of like yours!
I was soooo happy!! I listened to them hum and i had a lump in my throat!! I talked to them too!! I was on the edge of considering this moment a miracle!!
 I can really get "Sappy" sometimes///Like in Lassie movies!
your friend,
john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 10:19:18 pm »
In the back of my van.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 11:14:38 pm »
I had mine right next to me in the passenger seat and I talked to them on the ride home about their new home and how happy they would be. They were pretty quiet the whole ride home until I sprayed them with sugar water. I was so excited that day. Love the seat belt idea.

Annette
Annette, there is something about the way you described your trip with your bees that is insanely hysterical to me. "I had them right next to me the ride home, I talked to them, about how happy they would be, they were pretty quiet, until... I sprayed them with sugar water!" Bahhahhhahhahhahhaha, my sides are hurting, think I cracked a rib. I was imagening your bees sitting there next to you like a person, and then you sprayed them in the face with sugar water. Well, maybe its just me.

Cracked rib and all, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2008, 12:19:43 am »
I never had packages but I've done cutouts and carried the whole hive in my Durango.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2008, 02:33:30 am »
Well when I go and get mine in April they will be in the back of my highlander for a 5 hr drive.

Angi
Yes I will take a bottle of sugar water for them.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 07:22:29 am »
Angi_H
If you get package bees they should already have a feed can in place

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 08:48:22 am »
i brought a spray bottle with sugar water for them when i picked up my packages. i sprayed the screen. they went for it.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 09:10:15 am »
Yes, there should be a feeder can inside the package.  Spray the screen with syrup before you install them in their new home to calm them down a little.  Dont spray too much or they'll poop all over you and your pretty new painted hive.  My vale and helmet still have stains on them when I over sprayed and installed.   :-D  They've been cooped up in their package for a long while and "cleanse" themselves when they start flying around when you dump them in the hive.

Check out the main Beemaster page, John has a different way of dumping the bees out of the package by removing the screen instead of dumping them out the little feeder can hole.  Looks pretty slick and I'm gunna try it this season.

Sean Kelly