Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: robed hive, wax moth infestation, cant freeze frames - what to do with frames?  (Read 2806 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
hive was robed ,what few bees left i shook off and took the hive out of service. i found wax moths in it and i cant freeze 30 frames. what else can i do to rid of the moths?

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
You can split them up and add them to other healthy hives to clean up.  If you don't have enough other hives, you can place them outside in the sun.  Direct exposure to sun will prevent wax moths from destroying the comb.

You can freeze a few frames at a time in whatever freezer space you have (48 hours minimum freeze time) and then put them in some tightly sealed container.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
If it is to bad and it's plastic foundation, just scrape the wax off and start over. Don't underestimate how much a strong hive of bees will fix/repair.

Good Luck,

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
"cant freeze frames"..... when a persone freezes the frames,  does he need to place them in a tub or some sort of container?  just wondering here....tryintolearn

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
does he need to place them in a tub or some sort of container

depends on how tolerant your SO is!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Just put them is in a plastic bag and it won't cause a mess/srceeming.  :-D
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Extreme cold or extreme heat will kill most anything.  I assume it’s pretty hot in NJ at this point.  I haven’t tried it yet, but adding heat to a hive in the summer may kill off the moths.  Might be an interesting science experiment too :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Freeze them somehow.   But remember, you have to let them dry off before bagging them or sticking them into a tub for storage.   When they warm up, they will sweat.  That is how frames turn green/ grey real fast. 
And bees can clean up wax moth problems real fast.   

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
Adamant.
Just a suggestion.  I have never tried this.
Put a frame with moths on it into a large plastic sandwich bag and squeeze most of the air out of it.  Take a Propane torch and squirt the bag full of Propane.  It is heavier than air and will drive the oxygen out of the bag.  Seal the bag and let it set someplace for a day or two.  If the moths and the larva quit  moving, they are probably dead.   
If it works, PM me and let me know.
Regards
Joe

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Sounds good in theory, but I think I would go with dry ice (CO2) instead. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
If you put a match to that baggie filled with propane they are goners for sure!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907