Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: more baby chicks  (Read 37557 times)

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
    • http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/GA216.html
more baby chicks
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2005, 03:49:52 pm »
crw13755 -

No, not doing any shipping. Thanks for thinking of me though. :) There's a whole lot more involved with shipping than I want to deal with.

If you can't find chicks affordable around you, here's another option. There's a company that ships eggs for incubating that's not too expensive - $15 per dozen. And it's not very hard to incubate eggs even without a fancy incubator. (Mine is home-made, "properly" put together, and holds 300 eggs.) But, I have incubated eggs in a small styrophom cooler, and a friend of mine use to incubate in a fish tank. The company is Privett Hatchery - www.privetthatchery.com - or 1-877-Privett (774-8388).

If you wanted to try incubating eggs, I'd happily teach you through PM.

Beth

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
chicken or bees
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2005, 09:55:56 am »
So Beth do you like to be called    the Chicken Lady or the Bee Lady??             Bruce,,  with a smile

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2005, 12:29:26 pm »
LOL
Well, considering the bees are so easy to care for, I do spend alot more time with the chickens than the bees. Just this morning I was feeling a little like the Pied Piper or a chicken herder. I let my 2 1/2 month old chickens out while I worked around the barn, and they insisted on following me around. (Silly me) I felt sorry for them because they weren't getting a chance to eat with me moving from place to place. So I pulled up a chair in the shade, where there was some nice grass, and just relaxed while they ate all around me. I still don't have the pasture fence up, so I get nervous leaving them unattended because of the neighborhood dogs.
I waited until they were full and had wandered back inside the barn for a nap. Then I closed the door and went back to work.

They're spoiled, and well worth it. I truelly enjoy every aspect of "farm" living. Especially this time of year...... with the hydroponics started back up, the bees making honey, now having added more ducks & geese, and the chickens. I'm in a country girl's heaven. All I need to finish off my current plans is to get the pasture fence up, and get a couple goats - then I'll have my own little utopia.

Beth

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
The Farm
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2005, 10:01:38 am »
Old McDonald had a farm,, with a oink ,  oink here and a oink,oink there. Beth thats whats your missing to be called a real farm girl a hog with lots of little ones.  Bacon & Eggs with                   Biscuts & Honey

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2005, 10:00:09 pm »
:wink:   Thanks for the site Beth or as Bruce calls you Miss Chick-a-Bee,
Bruce a farm isnt fiten to be a farm with out a few critters aint you seen Home on the Range if thar aint singin then thar int happiness LOL :lol:

Offline Bruce Hanson

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2005, 10:00:31 am »
By golly I think we have found a new name for Beth.,Miss Chick-a-BEE should we take a vote?

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2005, 10:16:02 am »
AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH   Bet beth would darn right purty winning Miis Cybr Bee Queen  Title Miss. Chick-A-Bee walkin down that dirt road in her bee suit with her chicken in one hand and smoker in the other, I could just cry fer happiness  :mrgreen:

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2005, 10:19:40 am »
oh and forgot to mention her little pig too (Little Olie Oxin free) following her with her fireplace lighter in its mouth.......as people watch as she walks by saying "itnt that just precious marge"  :lol:

Offline Beth Kirkley

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2005, 10:27:47 am »
Ya' all are NOT RIGHT! LOL  :P

I like the name though, just might think about switching to it. Sure alot more interesting than using my REAL name here on the forum.

Beth

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2005, 10:30:53 am »
nothin but LOVE for you Darlin  :lol: .................ALL HAIL TO THE QUEEN  :wink:

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 12:59:18 pm »
I looked at the site you sent Beth good prices on them thanks now if I can find processors for chickens and turkeys would be nice

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2005, 10:22:40 pm »
Good luck on the chicken processers. I can't seem to find anyone around here, where as they do pretty much any other animal. Some around here even know how to & will do goat - that's not too common for small meat processing outfits.

Beth

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2005, 10:29:31 pm »
how was your day? it was nice talking to you all today  :D

Offline burny

• New Bee
bait?
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2005, 10:55:30 pm »
anybody ever use chicks for pike bait?   they work good.

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2005, 11:19:17 pm »
stupid question on my part I know but never heard of it but what is pike bait?

Violacea

more baby chicks
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2005, 01:46:57 pm »
Some kind of animal broke into one of our chick pens and killed all my Barred Rocks. :cry:  *sob* :cry:

Quote from: crw13755
stupid question on my part I know but never heard of it but what is pike bait?

Pike is a type of fish, hence, pike bait; something used for luring pike.  :wink:

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2005, 02:29:17 pm »
:oops:  Thanks I feel stupid now.

Sorry to hear about your babies getting killed it is heart breaking to have such a thing happen

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2005, 06:35:43 pm »
Sorry to hear that your barred rocks where killed, they are some of my favorites to raise, bye
Ryan Horn

Offline Miss Chick-a-BEE

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2005, 06:39:02 pm »
Sorry to hear that Violacea. It's so heartbreaking when that happens.

But that's why I went to such big lengths in building my barn. The barn itself cost $1,000, but is only 10 feet X 16 feet. I insisted on a wood floor too, even though my husband felt it was over kill. But I've lost all my chickens before to skunks, raccoons, and the like. I wanted to be SURE they were safe this time. I spent more on that barn than I have on most of the cars I've owned. :)

Beth

Offline crw13755

• House Bee
more baby chicks
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2005, 03:37:19 pm »
Got my baby chicks in today so that leaves me with 93 total now woo woo they so cute hopefully my weeder geese will be in tomarrow but sure it maybe weds when they do