Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Guilt and my Neighbor  (Read 7442 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Guilt and my Neighbor
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 11:23:15 pm »
A swarm leaving your hive and congregating 30 feet away isn't the same as establishing a hive. They might congregate a few feet from the hive and then move on a few miles away. But perhaps it is just me, if one of my hives swarmed and went into the neighbor's walls, I sure wouldn't loose sleep over it and really wouldn't care what they thought. But then I am a little anti-social anyways. But if I wanted the bees then I would offer to remove them or I would call another beek and see if he wants them.

Now I have to ask.... Do these high priced removals include all repairs? $600 bucks is just too much unless repairs come with it. 

:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 11:36:41 pm »
A swarm leaving your hive and congregating 30 feet away isn't the same as establishing a hive. They might congregate a few feet from the hive and then move on a few miles away. But perhaps it is just me, if one of my hives swarmed and went into the neighbor's walls, I sure wouldn't loose sleep over it and really wouldn't care what they thought. But then I am a little anti-social anyways. But if I wanted the bees then I would offer to remove them or I would call another beek and see if he wants them.

Now I have to ask.... Do these high priced removals include all repairs? $600 bucks is just too much unless repairs come with it. 

I had one swarm from a hive on my back patio into a swarm trap under my carport, not more than 40' away. I watched it take place so I know for sure, even posted about it on this site.

Jerry, so if one of your hives swarmed out into your neighbor's house and you knew this positively, you could care less?

Sorry, to disagree but this in my opinion is not an attitude that promotes beekeeping in a positive manner, its the type of mindset that gets neighbors to petition for ordinances to keep beekeeping out of the suburbs.

We need to be good shepherds.

...JP, my .02

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 11:39:18 pm »

Yes, she and the other beekeeper who I think is great at this, both leave the place looking exactly as it did before the removal - they clean out where the bees were as completely as possible, stuff the area with insulation, and put it all back together as good as new.  The only thing neither one of them do is paint. 

And Cindy is the gentlest beekeeper I know.  She has been keeping bees since she was 11 or so when she did it with her father.  She moves very gently and slowly and respects the bees.  It's amazing to watch her in action.  I saw a video of her removing bees from inside the top of a church steeple.  She was respectful both of the building and the bees (and a bunch of the church people watched from the ground below!)

Given how far each of them drive and how carefully and beautifully they handle the removals, I don't think their prices are out of line.  I heard Bill Owens speak at Young Harris, encouraging beekeepers to value their services appropriately.  He is the other fabulous bee removal person in Georgia.

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2008, 06:36:10 am »
Jerry, so if one of your hives swarmed out into your neighbor's house and you knew this positively, you could care less?

Their horses and cows causes flies that then invade my space. The wind blows their poop onto my place. One of them once had a couple of goats that would always come grazing all over my yard. And as I said, there were bees swarming around here long before I got bees. And the chances of me seeing the bees swarm to their house is slim to none. And I would probably get them before they got established. It is a hypothetical question. Don't really know unless it happens.

But with Tillie's case, they are probably not her bees and she sure should not even plant the seed of a notion that she might even remotely possibly pay for a small part of the removal cost. 

When I removed the bees from somebody's home it was because I wanted the bees. Yes it was doing them a favor and it was a bit of work, but I didn't charge for it, and they had to do their own repairs. If they were in the wall I would go through the sheet rock. A sheet of sheet rock, some nails and paint is a lot cheaper than paying me $600 dollars to do it. I always did it in the way it would be cheaper for the home owner to repair.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2008, 08:25:25 am »
Jerry: "Their horses and cows causes flies that then invade my space. The wind blows their poop onto my place. One of them once had a couple of goats that would always come grazing all over my yard. And as I said, there were bees swarming around here long before I got bees. And the chances of me seeing the bees swarm to their house is slim to none. And I would probably get them before they got established. It is a hypothetical question. Don't really know unless it happens."

Me: Well, a neighbor like that deserves a swarm!! ;)

Jerry: "But with Tillie's case, they are probably not her bees and she sure should not even plant the seed of a notion that she might even remotely possibly pay for a small part of the removal cost."

Me: There is no way anyone can make the assumption they are or not her bees, but still, the finger may point to the nearest known source.

...JP 

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 08:33:36 am »
My neighborhood is very woodsy - we back up to a deep woods.  I've had two swarms appear this year in my yard - maybe from my bees but maybe not.

My worry about paying for it is, as I said earlier in this thread, I don't want the precedent set that
1. if bees move into anyone's house in this neighborhood, it must be my problem (ie, my bees) and
2. I must take the responsibility for it. 

I will help in any and every way that I can short of demonstrating responsibility for it. 

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline greg spike

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 04:58:32 pm »

Dance on a 30' ladder in a moonsuit, with a reciprocating saw, surrounded by bees.

Belly crawl, on pink fluff, in a 130+ degree attic, praying you don't stick a knee through the drywall, while scooping up bees that really don't like you.

Anyone dumb enough to a attic/soffit removal for minimum wage, is someone you really don't want working on your house to begin with.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 06:07:16 pm »
I have done removals. I don't charge since I am doing it to get the bees, and I make sure the property owner knows they will be doing the repairs before I tear anything up. I get free survivor bees, except for the work, and they don't have to pay such outrageous prices to get it done.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 08:07:18 pm »
There is no such thing as a free bee, you'll learn.  Most cutouts don't produce a viable hive for a number of reasons, including the spray that was used before they called you.  Once the new wears off, you'll be charging $100 an hour and hoping they turn you down, just like the rest of us.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 09:01:54 pm »
There is no such thing as a free bee, you'll learn.  Most cutouts don't produce a viable hive for a number of reasons, including the spray that was used before they called you.  Once the new wears off, you'll be charging $100 an hour and hoping they turn you down, just like the rest of us.

Weird  :? I got some good hives from doing it. Not everyone sprays them.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2008, 11:11:53 pm »
There is a very good chance the swarm isn't from your bees at all.  Although it might be.  Swarms typically move at least a quarter mile away and often six or seven miles away.  Sometimes even more.  A swarm is just as likely to have come from several miles away.

But, of course, you want her to not dislike bees in general...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin