Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: sticky fingers and palms...  (Read 2519 times)

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
sticky fingers and palms...
« on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:14 am »
Any suggestions for getting propolis and other gunk off of your hands after pulling frames etc.?  I usually wear some latex gloves to avoid it, but that is just annoying.  Usually when I do anything bare-handed I have major stains for a week or two.  Just prefer to not constantly explain to co-workers or clients what is smeared on my palms and fingers. 
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: sticky fingers and palms...
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 10:14:27 am »
I have been a mechanic all my life. I thought the hand color difference was just natural.   :?   :roll:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 12:39:41 pm »
Oil, like cooking oil, followed by soap. I'm figuring a tree sap product will dissolve in oil. - rubbing alcohol might dissolve it too. (let me know)
be happy and make others happy.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 01:26:37 pm »
I don't usually get a lot on my hands, but when I do a little nail-polish remover (acetone) will do the trick.  Mineral spirits do too but smell a lot worse.
Rick

Offline msully

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 03:52:40 pm »
Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle does a great job cleaning off propolis.  I wouldn't go into the hives without it!!

Mike
"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett

Offline beek4018

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 04:00:36 pm »
You may also try undiluted vinegar.  Stings like A @*!$%, but it takes epoxy off almost instantly after I've been doing fiberglass work.

Another possibility is a thick baking soda paste rubbed on and washed off.

Good luck, and please publish your results.

Inquiring minds...have sticky hands too.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 10:06:35 pm »
Gojo.   The grit in it will clean it up.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:59:11 pm »
FGMO aka mineral oil laxitive.  Also works on leather gloves...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Ollie

• House Bee
    • www.olliesrockwall.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:49:10 am »
Putting a little hand lotion or Vaseline on your hands before going to the hive will help in cleaning afterward. There's a product at the paint store called invisible glove, I've used it in  the past for painting and working on greasy motors, it works pretty well.
Rubbing alcohol dilutes propolis, it's probably much better for you than acetone. That stuff attacks you organs in a bad way, sucks right in through your skin. Nasty chemicals!
I'd rather have the stains than the cancer...

Life is good...Make it gooder!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 09:05:20 am »
Any suggestions for getting propolis and other gunk off of your hands after pulling frames etc.?  I usually wear some latex gloves to avoid it, but that is just annoying.  Usually when I do anything bare-handed I have major stains for a week or two.  Just prefer to not constantly explain to co-workers or clients what is smeared on my palms and fingers. 

Just tell 'em when they ask, you're a beekeeper. What's wrong with contantly explaining that, you're promoting beekeeping.  8-)

Just my .02

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 09:42:27 am »

Rubbing alcohol dilutes propolis, it's probably much better for you than acetone.
I'd rather have the stains than the cancer...

meh...acetone vs. isopropyl alcohol  they're equally bad for you and both cause cancer as bad as the other.  Interestingly enough both were originally produced by distilling fermentation results.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

Chances are that the compounds in tree resin and propolis can cause cancer too...everything causes cancer.

isopropyl alcohol dilutes it but nail polish remover dissolves it.
Rick

Offline thebalvenie

• House Bee
  • Vote Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 04:36:13 pm »
i would definitely try the rubbing alcohol and soap but follow up with a pumice stone in the shower...

pumice stone and/or scrub pad should do the trick.

sounds like you should stick to gloves......they're cheaper in the long haul.

:)
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 06:50:10 pm »
I carry little medicinal alcohol wipes that come packaged in their own individual handy one use "towelette" packs.  Tear them open wipe off your hands and anything else you need to clean and drop it the trash.  I have a batch I carry in my car when I need them.  After 10 hives with bare hands one is all I need.  No spilling, they don't dry out and they take up no space at all.  They sell them on the medical isle of any grocery store or in any pharmacy.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...