Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Working with tractor near bees  (Read 2400 times)

Offline IHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

• New Bee
Working with tractor near bees
« on: May 20, 2014, 05:08:02 pm »
I'm building a privacy wall/trellis and I need to auger a few holes about 12 feet away from the nearest hive. If I can do this with the tractor, it would take 15 minutes, or so. If I dig them by hand, it would take a few hours due to the clay, roots and rocks.

Would it be advisable to run a piece of equipment this close to a hive? If it would be ok, would there be a better time of day, or night to do this?

Thanks

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Working with tractor near bees
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 05:19:26 pm »
Early morning, while it's cool and their are still flowers to keep them occupied.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 05:35:58 pm »
My gas tractor, I bush hog right in front of them. My diesel, they attack the tractor and me. Only a test will tell. Wear your protective wear.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:39 pm »
My gas tractor, I bush hog right in front of them. My diesel, they attack the tractor and me. Only a test will tell. Wear your protective wear.

Hmm, it is a diesel. I'll have to be careful. I can point the exhaust away from the hive. Do you think it is the smell, or the noise, or something else?

Offline skatesailor

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 05:41:27 pm »
They let me come in and scoop two loads of mulch from my pile. On the third approach I was mobbed and chased. I hadn't touched the hive as it was a good 20 ft away. Something set them off, so my advice is be careful and prepared for anything. I agree with Idee.

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 06:07:46 pm »
They let me come in and scoop two loads of mulch from my pile. On the third approach I was mobbed and chased. I hadn't touched the hive as it was a good 20 ft away. Something set them off, so my advice is be careful and prepared for anything. I agree with Idee.

I'll fully suit up. I won't plan anything for the tractor the rest of the day if I need to shut it down and leave it for a while if things escalate.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »
They won't be that bad. If they don't want you there, they will say so. You can just drive away. They will leave the tractor and you in about 50 feet.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 10:05:21 pm »
They won't be that bad. If they don't want you there, they will say so. You can just drive away. They will leave the tractor and you in about 50 feet.

Thanks. I'll give it a go.

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:41:23 am »
Took care of it this morning about 7:00 am. No problem. No reaction at all.

Thanks for the advice!

Offline HomeSteadDreamer

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:00:28 am »
Glad to hear it went well.

Offline dprater

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 07:53:57 pm »
Funny thing these bees. I have a diesel tractor that I got from a friend that stopped beekeeping because he could not use his tractor (same tractor I now have) I drive by my bees 4 or 5 ft. away all the time and they don't even notice I'm there. Crazy bees.

dan

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 10:28:34 am »
different bees

Offline labradorfarms

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2014, 02:54:20 am »
My Bee's are very gentle more so when the hive was small. I could  run a tractor  within a foot of them ,slowly mow and weed eat between them with little action.... Now that my hive is growing and the population is increasing they are still gentle but are more defensive..... If I mow  or weedeat ,I make a very fast pass. 10 feet away from my hives my Girls wont bother you. Any closer they may come after me. I keep the tractor 10 feet away with NP.
My advise is to be sure most of the Bees are out foraging before you try ....