Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Technical Egg Question  (Read 2842 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Technical Egg Question
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:25:12 pm »
I keep a small flock of pastured laying hens to sell the eggs off of. Recently, a couple of my customers (housewives that bake on a weekly if not daily basis) stated that while they were making ice cream and a chocolate pie (sounds good huh) that the eggs were curdling/cooking in the mixture. When I asked her about tempering the eggs before adding all of them to the mix, she said that she had done so. So here's, the question..drum roll please...Could this god awful heat have anything to do with it you think?  My birds are standing around panting like dogs all day long and they do have a constant, fresh water source but I suppose that they could very well become dehydrated thus pulling moisture out of the egg <- my hypothesis anyways. Ive never had this problem before, but it's never been this consistently hot either. Can anybody weigh in on some good technical poultry advice?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Technical Egg Question
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 08:36:31 pm »
That makes sense.  How often do you collect the eggs?  My hens are in the shade.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:24 am »
I collect them twice a day and any that I find on the ground gets chunked as I dont know if they were deposited there that day or just uncovered that day.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 11:20:48 pm »
Vanilla will curdle eggs.doak

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:38:58 am »
Didnt know that. Wonder why?