Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee sting, need help!!!!  (Read 17886 times)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Bee sting, need help!!!!
« on: June 17, 2008, 01:58:39 pm »
OK guys,

I just got stung right under my eye this morning. Of course, my fault, went up to the hive early without any protection or veil. I was even stupid enough to open up the hive. (Had not waken up yet)

I immediately, scratched the sting and hopefully got the stinger out. Took 2 benedryl pills and made a paste of baking soda and water to lessen the pain.

Right now it feels like someone punched me in the eye and I feel sort of strange all over my face. Numbness coming on here and there. A little itchy feeling around my neck.

Is this all normal??? What can I expect as the day progresses???  I know it is not dangerous, or I would have trouble breathing right away. Is this dangerous for my eye????

I am not upset or freaked out, just want some info if possible.

Love
Annete

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: Bee sting, need help!!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:26:55 pm »
Annette,

You will experience a significant amount of swelling, so be prepared to look hideous for a few days. If you start to feel sick, then I would be calling the Doc. Hope you are feeling and looking better soon.  :)

Bob

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:32 pm »
I was stung under the eye during a similar act of overconfidence.

Little pain or itch until about 24 hours later. The side of my face swelled as the venom moved down, quite a sight! And it itched like crazy for almost 5 days.

I saw a post here about using Vagisil for the itch - makes a lot of sense to me so I'll try it next time.

That's my experience. I believe I've seen others with similar ones. So not to worry if for a few days you look like you got whacked with a heavy hot frying pan ;)
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 02:38:15 pm »
I always swell up like someone punched me in the eye, but I've found facial stings to heal more quickly than others...usually swelling the day of the sting and then the next day, and that's it. Your reaction sounds normal.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline we BEE crawson

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 02:44:47 pm »
i got tagged under the eye as well, It hurt for a bit but I was lucky and didnt get any of the swelling just some itch for a few days.  Maybe you will be lucky and once the initial pain goes away you won't have any swelling either.  I would think it depends on how much venum gets into your system ie how deep the stinger penetrated and also how long it stayed in your skin.( but maybe thats all wrong , just seems to be that way with this newbees sting experiences)  I have had a few       hope it all goes away soon for you!!!!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 04:28:47 pm »
My son got it once right on the eyelid. He thinks it was right on the eye ball. But was fine. Didn't even notice any swelling.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 05:21:07 pm »
Everyone's vascular and nervous system in the face is different. My dad was stung on the four head and looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame for a week.
Myself, whenever the dentist injects me with Novocaine on my upper right side my right eye goes numb and I can still feel everything.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 05:37:35 pm »
Sounds like you're having an allergic reaction to it (or something).  The benedryl would certainly be helping with that, so I wouldn't get off the benedryl for at least 24 hours. 

Offline deejaycee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 05:46:35 pm »
Expect a bunch of swelling.  In fact, it's probably not more swelling than you might get elsewhere, but because there just isn't a lot of flesh on the face it doesn't have many places to go... so it goes out.

On New Year's Eve I took a hit right on the bridge of the nose and a second under my eye.  The first photo titled new years eve beesting is about three hours after the sting.  The next one titled new year's day is 24 hours.   

http://picasaweb.google.com/deejaycee37/Buzzbuzz?authkey=0WACBRMLipU

The swelling probably maxed out about 36 hours, and then started to subside.  The pressure started to drop about 48 hours and there was less pressure on palpation.  By 72 hours most of the swelling was gone and I was just left with the appearance of a slightly blackened eye. 

There wasn't a lot of "pain" aside from the initial whack and a bit of a headachey stuffy feeling as the swelling went up.   Mostly it actually felt as if I'd had a big dental anaesthetic.

That's how it goes for me anyway.

As long as your throat feels ok and you're not seeing swelling away from your face or itching/rash that indicates a systemic type reaction rather than a local one, you're fine.   If you're not sure, see a doctor and make sure.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 07:10:45 pm »
I may luck out on this one. Except for slight eye pain right now, you cannot even tell I got stung. Of course, the next few days will tell the truth. I really got the stinger out right away. As she was stinging me, I was scraping at it.

Annette

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 09:30:36 pm »
My dad was stung on the four head and looked like the Hunchback of Notre Dame for a week.

That is exactly what happened to me!

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:47 pm »
I am currently a comedy sideshow for my wife and kids and scare the snot out of folks that have seen me today :evil:

Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 12:37:15 am »
It is starting now. I spoke to soon as the swelling  is coming on now really good. OH Boy.

The benadryl really knocked me off my feet today.  Fun, fun, fun

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 02:22:32 pm »
Annette, hope you are OK.  That benedryl is nasty stuff, I can't take it because it whacks me out for the day too. Even the non-drowsy that I have, I don't like that feeling of being whacked out on stupey drugs like that, but I know it does help.  (Got a picture so we can laugh, eeks, did I say that?  hee, hee).  Best of a beautiful life and day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 03:19:54 pm »
Yeah, I agree that the benefits of benedryl are outweighed by the bad side affects, mainly sleepyness.  Unless it is for my kids at bedtime :roll:, then they will actually go to sleep when we want them to.

I'm happy, that although my stings always swelled in the past, I seem recently to have it the no-swell threshold!! :) :) :)  It still hurts like fire getting stung.  I am much much more confident with the bees though!
Rick

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 05:39:02 pm »
Oh Annette,

The first hit to my head really hurt, it was right above my right ear near the temple.  The swelling didn't begin for a few hours and then OH BOY.  Swelling for 2 days, a full 72 hours until I was"normal" again.

The second hit to the head occurred in the same place!  I began to swell faster, and my right  eye swelled shut..I looked UGGLEE!!!!!

Ice and benadryl, and maybe even a tagamet might help!

Offline CWBees

• House Bee
    • CWBees
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:27:57 pm »
I have been stung in the face through the veil and did not have much of a reaction. I assume the stinger was pulled out pretty quick from the face. I hope it is the same for you. When I get stung in the ankles or hands it tended to be worse.
A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2008, 08:34:38 pm »
Oh my deejaycee!  You look as purdy as I did after I got stung on the head!  And New Years Eve no less!

ACKKKK!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2008, 09:02:34 pm »
My son got nailed just below the eye last year,  took a couple of days before the swelling went away.

Luckily it was during the summer,  otherwise I'm sure we would have got a call from the school :roll:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2008, 09:07:09 pm »
Robo, what a darling boy, how did he tolerate the event?