Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any ALDHA Thru-Hikers present?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Any ALDHA Thru-Hikers present?
« on: January 28, 2015, 08:22:50 pm »
In 2012 I managed a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (2,184.4 miles in 2012, length changes every year). And, luck would have it, I actually met a career beekeeper hiking Southbound who was from the UK. So, I'm tempted to ask, has anyone else here completed one of the legs of the triple crown (PCT, CDT, AT), and which class year?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Any ALDHA Thru-Hikers present?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 10:21:35 pm »
I walked the length of a football field once.    :cool:   :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:53:08 pm »
Personal best was walking from the bed to the bathroom in the middle of the night and making it.

Old age is the pits.  :shocked: :oops:

John

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:58 pm »
Personal best was walking from the bed to the bathroom in the middle of the night and making it.

Old age is the pits.  :shocked: :oops:

John

Maybe, but I can attest that in the first weeks I was hiking I was passed by septuagenarians that were putting down 20+ mile days straight off the starting line. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:09:00 am »
John
seams as I am not the only one who likes to jest. Your avitar shows your not that old and while making it to the bathroom at may be a chore for one of your skills (military). I must confess Iam able to get there OK. durring the day only as I can never find my glasses in the dark. let alown keys or guns

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 01:20:01 am »
Yea not old in age but health ducks. 3 heart attacks.  And being a military family. Coming back and forth over seas as a child and going threw delousings of DDT my health has suffered . Its the price that military families pay to protect this country. And a price I am hornered to pay for my families sacrifice.

John

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 08:32:14 am »
>PCT, CDT, AT

Princeton Airport?
Central Daylight Time?
Anti Tank?

I think my longest single hike was from half way between Sundance, WY and Newcastle going to Newcastle on 85 in the middle of the night with an axle on my shoulder (bearing went out).  It was 26 miles.  It took me a little over 6 hours... but that was two decades ago... and I try to avoid those situations... :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 11:52:52 am »
@MB  rotfl  Pacific Crest Trail Continental Divide Trail Appalachian Trail lol

I've section hiked 7-9 day pieces of the AT with my older son's Scout Troop... Now I've got a Cub will be Tenderfoot this time next year, so it looks like I need to hold it together for at least 8 more years.

At the rate I'm going downhill though, I won't be doing any 20 milers 20 years from now. :sad:

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 10:31:37 pm »
@MB I'm willing to believe that my pack was probably lighter than an axle sans bearing, sounds like waiting for AAA may have been easier.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:39 am »
John
mine served on Okinawa till retirement. I was there. that is what we got for bug spray

coming back to the States was hard for me. the worst was moving every year or two

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 10:40:49 am »
> sounds like waiting for AAA may have been easier.

Hmmm.... never had AAA.  At the time no one had a cell phone.  There are no houses, no phones and no gas stations on that 26 miles... I think it would have been a very long wait... and I was never much for waiting when there is anything I can do...  I started driving in 1969.  The first time I ever called a tow truck was in 1992 and that was because the transmission was just too heavy to carry to town... so I had the tow truck take me to a transmission place where I bought a used one and put it in the van in the dark because they were closing for the day and I had no light.  At this point in time I've called a two truck five times in my life... I've gotten lazy... and I've never owned a car that was less than ten years old.  Right now I have three cars from the 90s and one that is a 2000.  I finally junked the 1970 van I learned to drive on two years ago... the very one whose axle I was carrying that night...  The front wheel bearings, which you can repack, had over 500,000 miles on them when I junked it and had never been replaced.  The rear bearings, which were sealed, went out about every 50-100K miles or so and had to be pressed on and off, which is why I had to take the axle with me and not just get a new bearing...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything