Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Southeast Organic Beekeepers Conference 2010  (Read 8501 times)

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Southeast Organic Beekeepers Conference 2010
« on: January 07, 2010, 10:04:38 pm »
Hi All,

I am going to put it on again. Last year was such an incredible success that it made a huge impact on beekeeping in Florida. That wave of change was created last year. This year we are riding the wave of change.

http://seobc.beekeeperspbc.com/

A 2-DAY EVENT FOR ANYONE
INTERESTED IN BEEKEEPING
WHERE:
MOUNTS BOTANICAL GARDEN
531 N. MILITARY TRAIL
WEST PALM BEACH, FL 33415

WHEN:
FEBRUARY 6TH & 7TH 2010
8:00AM - 5:30PM

EVENTS:
INTRODUCTION FOR BEGINNER
BEEKEEPERS
HONEY, WAX, AND MEAD COMPETITION
QUEEN REARING AND GRAFTING
TOP BAR HIVES
HONEY STANDARDS
HIVES AFTER DARK
HOW TO MAKE AWARD
WINNING HONEY AND WAX
COMMERCIAL BEEKEEPING DISCUSSION
LIPBALM AND LOTION
And Much More

SPEAKERS:
ALAN BUKLEY
SAM COMFORT
JP
LINDA TILLMAN
DOUG MCGINNIS
MALCOLM SANFORD
DALLAS MATTOX

I think my wife is going to have me committed after this.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Southeast Organic Beekeepers Conference 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 11:14:48 pm »
Looking forward to the event Brendhan. BTW, what's your weather like lately?

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:20:19 pm »
Lately, the weather has not been acceptable. I live in Sunny and Warm South Florida. It seems like Canada kicked some cold front down here. I hate it, my bees hate it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 01:43:55 pm »
Awesome!
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:33 pm »
oh, i'm so tempted to go.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 02:44:34 pm »
Give into temptation.  :evil:

It is going to be a lot of fun. You will have a blast.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 03:38:54 pm »
JP and Linda Tillman!! My gosh, my two favorite beekeepers in the whole world in one place, and I can't go.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 03:44:22 pm »
Do not make excuses. Come!

You will have a great time.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:18:40 pm »
Give into temptation.  :evil:

It is going to be a lot of fun. You will have a blast.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Tempting, tempting. It is in conflict with an expedition to Brazil, however.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 04:24:43 pm »
Miami airport is not far from our location. You can fly out right after the conference.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:06:47 pm »
Bear in mind at the converence that you will have 1000% more people watch it from youtube than in person.  So I recommend you find someone with a HD camera and man it for the entire conference. 

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 02:10:28 am »
I got expenses to cover. My wife already is having conniptions over the credit card.

Besides there is nothing like real and in person. Hands on Baby!

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:09 pm »
You aren't going to record for later viewing???  Yikks!! I really hate to miss my favorite speakers and I cannot attend this time.  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 10:39:05 pm by annette »

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 04:31:31 pm »
I will probably record a good bit of it. But I am not sure how much. I would like people to attend not watch from afar.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 11:22:21 pm »
I am so excited to be coming, Brendhan.  I just made lotion bars to practice for one of my workshops - I've never made them before and I'm going crazy - they are FABULOUS.  I know I'm supposed to make lotion/hand cream, but I'm going to talk about these as well and bring some to try.

Hope to meet some of you face to face!

Linda T in Atlanta but almost on her way to Florida!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 11:39:32 pm »
Awesome. I am shopping at Whole Paycheck and getting other things together. darn if it isn't a bit hectic.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 06:30:53 am »
I will be thinking of you all and I know you will have a wonderful time together.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »
Leaving in about one hour to meet Alan in Mobile. Will be last time in here until Tuesday.

Wish all of you could make it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2010, 01:40:54 pm »
one of you better have a smart phone so that you can upload some updates and pics!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2010, 09:14:22 pm »
We will be uploading pictures, hopefully before the drinking starts.

Anyone got bail money for Alan?

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2010, 04:43:33 pm »
Well, we're loaded and ready to head out to West Palm...should be a blast!!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2010, 10:07:26 am »
The conference was great - I loved being there.  Meeting Dallas, JP, and Alan in person was such a treat - I got to hang out and eat dinner with them on Friday night.  But I got food poisoning Saturday afternoon and missed the Saturday night adventures and hated that.  Everyone who was at the conference seemed to be happy with their experiences.  Brendhan did a great job and ran a wonderful conference.  It was a nice mix of indoor talks and outdoor hands on experiences.  I got to meet Sam Comfort and watch him work the bees in his top bar hives - flip flops, no protection except a floppy brimmed hat - he was in tune with the bees and a great guy.  I'm inspired to build a top bar hive right away for this season. 

I got to talk on Preparing Honey and Wax for Competition - which I loved doing.  Most of the people in this group had never participated in a honey show, so I felt great about helping them understand why you do it (to be a better beekeeper/honey producer) and how to do it well.  I also talked about Harvesting Honey from the Hive to the Jar without chemicals, etc. and that session went great.  I did Powerpoints for both of these and also showed my movie on Crush and Strain honey.

Then Sunday I did a lip balm and lotion workshop that meant I was Julia Child in front of all these people, but I managed to make lip balm, lotion, and lotion bars and all of them got to take one of each home with them.

I learned the most (second to what I learned from Sam Comfort) from getting to help judge the honey contest with Welsh Honey judge (trained by Robert Brewer) Mikhail Kruglyakov.  It was a tiny honey show, but I learned from looking at every jar with him.  What an experience!  When I'm through with master beekeeper, I want to take the Welsh Honey judge training.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2010, 03:01:12 pm »
Glad you posted something as I was waiting to hear how things went with the conference. I am so sorry you got sick (I know something about food poisoning myself) and had to miss out on some things.

It sounds wonderful. I am helping a friend start a TBH this Spring and I need all the information I can get. Who is this man Sam Comfort and where do I find more information about him?? Does he have a website or literature to read on TBH's?

Glad you were able to share your experience on making fun stuff with the beeswax. I would love to have been your assistant in the lotion/cream/lipbalm making process (Hee! Hee!), but looks like you pulled it off really well yourself. ( just kidding!!!)

Take care and thanks for sharing. OH I guess I should check out your blog today as well.

Annette

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »
Sam Comfort is Anarchy Apiaries.  He's a rebel of a guy and a kind beekeeper - sort of lives comfortably as his name would imply - with the bees.

He keeps bees in New York and Florida.

I put some pictures of his presentation on my blog and will put more of the conference up tonight.

LT now back in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2010, 05:57:19 pm »
Hi All,

I am still in process of recovery from the event. I spent this morning cleaning up the event and this afternoon in Miami. I have an FSBA conference call later today. I was so busy I did not get a lot of video. But I did get some I will try to deal with it by the end of the week.

The conference was if I do say so myself, just amazing. Linda (tillie) did an awesome job. Everyone was so enthralled with the idea of being able to make their own products from the hive. She made it seem so simple and easy. Alan did grafting and hives after dark and you just watch all the old school fears wash away. JP did a hands on cut I had for him, not an easy one either, with the students. Dallas showed all the beginners everything lighting their smokers to what to do in a hive. When he wasn't sleeping under his truck, biut that is another story. Doug McGinnis did a discussion on honey standards that blew people away even if you are a backyard beekeepers he lets you know what the expectations are going to be. Sam did top bar hives as tillie mentioned and now everyone wants one. My concern know is Sam spent three days with Dallas, Alan, and JP and may never be the same.

As for me I was basically lazy and let everyone I brought into speak do all the work.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2010, 06:07:13 pm »
I will also admit there is a small evil satisfaction in calling the four horsemen (Dallas, Alan, JP, and Sam) in the afternoon knowing they are passed out from indulging in the excesses of life. :evil:

Days Alan, Sam, Dallas, and JP spent at the conference: 3 plus trip down and trip back.

Total hours slept by the four horsemen: 3

Calling their cell phones and waking them up: Priceless!!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2010, 10:25:06 pm »
Maybe I should call you later on and wake you up :evil: :evil:

Anyway it all sounds so wonderful. Glad it was a success for you all.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 10:54:42 pm »
Maybe I should call you later on and wake you up :evil: :evil:

Anyway it all sounds so wonderful. Glad it was a success for you all.

ZZZZZZZZZ!

Sorry I had my ringer turned off. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2010, 07:00:15 am »
Hi All,

As for me I was basically lazy and let everyone I brought into speak do all the work.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2010, 02:10:46 pm »
Pictures will be coming soon. I did not get many myself but I do know there were some great moments captured.. *Crossing fingers that no one has the ones of me sleeping under the bee truck or the bar pics.
Seriously It was the greatest conference ever. Brendhan, Thank you for organizing such a great event and bringing all these great minded people together. You have created a monster now and I think you already know that.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 08:56:11 pm »
I'd like to say that Alan, Dallas and JP are always so kind and supportive on the forum and you know how you never know what people will be like when you actually meet them - well, they are exactly that way in person. 

Dallas is always smiling with a kind word, JP is fantastic in his approach to everything and Alan is wry in his comments.  I enjoyed all of them and wish I could have spent more time with them.  I understand that while I was flying back to Atlanta, they along with Brendhan were closing down the bar as New Orleans was winning the Super Bowl!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »
I proclaim innocence in the act of closing down the bar. As to the four horsemen (Alan, JP, Sam, and Dallas) I take the fifth.

I will admit watching the superbowl with them and screaming a lot of Who Dat?! but after the game let's just say that I don't know the owner personally  but there are others who do.

:evil:

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2010, 12:20:10 am »
The conference was a complete failure, there was absolutely no fun to be had and all we did was sleep. We had nothing to drink, we like hockey, and have no idea who "Dirty" is, do you?

Details tomorrow, uh, maybe, maybe not.

Here's a few pics (57) http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/OrganicBeekeepingConference2010#

...JP

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:36 am »
The conference was a complete failure, there was absolutely no fun to be had and all we did was sleep. We had nothing to drink, we like hockey, and have no idea who "Dirty" is, do you?

Details tomorrow, uh, maybe, maybe not.

Here's a few pics (57) http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus/OrganicBeekeepingConference2010#

...JP

Hey JP,

Love the pics. Thanks so much. I am glad we were able to just make sure everyone was bored.

:mrgreen:

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2010, 03:23:41 am »
Great Photos JP - thanks for sharing. Wish I could have been there. It looked like fun.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2010, 10:54:50 am »
Left my house on Thursday, Feb 4, 1pm (cst) en route to Chunchula, Alabama to pick up Alan Bukley, made it there wanna say right before 4pm.

Alan was to leave his truck at the Smith's house and catch a ride with me. The Smith's were/are nice people and wanted to visit and have a sit down dinner, all the while Dallas is waiting for our butts in Lake City, chomping at the bit, to haul ourselves and some bees down to West Palm Beach, where the conference was held.

That little pit stop only took a mere 2 hrs but something we had to do as it had been a while since Alan & the Smith's had visited.

Alan & I wound up getting to Dallas's place at 2 am, EST and believe it or not, loaded up Dallas's truck and left immediately for West Palm Beach.

Dallas doesn't believe in sealing his hives for transport so every stop along the way was quite interesting, at least to those who weren't accustomed to a few bees flying around while pumping their gas.

We made it to West Palm around 7 am Friday morning and after dropping off the hives we took down (mostly nucs) we stumbled to our motel rooms, showered and crashed for a few hours.

We made it in one piece, even with Dallas's obsession with driving on the white lines on the shoulder of the interstate.

To be continued...

JP

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2010, 07:26:52 pm »

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 07:38:31 pm »
Sam the man Comfort talking TBHs: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/am_0tvcqyjckuH9D8juwRA?feat=directlink

"Outlaw" beekeeping at its finest: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/VHXMl-UdJhxmfcQ8Eh-Elg?feat=directlink

Linda "Tillie" doing her thang: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/o0-4kT4wULkEEgVGh3KOgA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y0xZf_U_N5kykK-5_kgpuw?feat=directlink

Folks, Linda is the most adorable little woman you ever wanna meet, her enthusiasm is infectious!

This is a cut-out we did in a cabinet drawer pulled from Brendhan's beeyard. The bees were very gentle and built beautiful comb sections: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y689m9yFZzE0HnMVBNKizA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/PaZB-ur2YkxdI7faCsbqXQ?feat=directlink

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »
Sunday night we watched the Superbowl in a sports bar called "The Brass Monkey" Can you say "Who Dat!"

Hey Dallas, "Do you know who I am?"  :mrgreen:

Monday we checked out and headed over to Sam's pad. It was all chill, even hit the beach some: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3hclJf2Ww7JTveJXB1jLKg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/t-uRhFZO_9mwEZUL5q20GA?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9HqroH7C89fRz2tpSCmOPg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yMjlRd35vLPdG9HESsd04A?feat=directlink

Monday night, saying our goodbyes, "bunch of outlaws" http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/189FThGu5Fo2nKUn_Cgxbg?feat=directlink

The conference was a complete success, Brendhan did a fantastic job pulling it all together. We all had an outstanding time, made new friends and gained a ton of memories & made it back in one piece. What more can you ask for?

...JP

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 08:41:37 am »
Well I would like to give a sincere thank you for putting this on Brendhan, Peggy and I had a great time! Alan, Dallas, Sam, and Jp are a great bunch of experts to hang with and Linda's presentations got Peggy really excited about creating possible cash flow from hive products we normally don't take advantage of. My only regret was not hangin' in long enough Sat. night to grab some of that dog that bit Dallas so bad :-D.

I'm planning on using Alan's suggestions for my next queen rearing this weekend. I was really interested in the queenless/broodless starter/finisher that he recommended.

Sam seems to be the ultimate top bar beek and his passion has me convinced to finally try one for myself. I hope I can do right by him.

Dallas, what can I say...you're right where I'd like to be in a year or two. I plan on using your gained knowledge to make it a smooth journey...and yes, I'll be coming up for a visit soon, I don't even mind working hives for beer :-D

And of course JP. Anyone that does the occasional cut-out or swarm capture has to admire a man that does hundreds every year! (yeah, he's kinda my hero).

Looking forward to Bud's this year!

Thanks again,
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 06:55:29 pm »
I apologize for the delay.

The videos are up!!!!

http://vimeo.com/album/205162

Sincerely,
Brendhan

anything