Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: no drones or drone cells  (Read 2280 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
no drones or drone cells
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:25:26 am »
Ok this has started to bother me a little as with all the information I've read it seems a bit odd.  I have yet to see a drone cell in any of my hives.  Both hives look like they're on the verge of a population explosion and needing another medium brood chamber; since the hives have started expanding and all but the top portion of and a few little spots here and there are packed with worker brood going on the 5th week since installation.  Does this seem a little odd to anyone else or am I just being a worry wort?  Oh and there are a few drones here and there, but they either came with the package or came from another hive as I'm positive I've not seen a capped drone cell.

Offline Apiarist3000

• New Bee
Re: no drones or drone cells
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 11:00:38 am »
Ok this has started to bother me a little as with all the information I've read it seems a bit odd.  I have yet to see a drone cell in any of my hives.  Both hives look like they're on the verge of a population explosion and needing another medium brood chamber; since the hives have started expanding and all but the top portion of and a few little spots here and there are packed with worker brood going on the 5th week since installation.  Does this seem a little odd to anyone else or am I just being a worry wort?  Oh and there are a few drones here and there, but they either came with the package or came from another hive as I'm positive I've not seen a capped drone cell.

Have you put a smaller frame inside the brood (super frame) so that they can make drone comb on that?

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 01:14:19 pm »
one colony is starter strips so they draw whatever they want.  The other is on pierco frames so I was going to wait until they were big enough to add another brood box before I gave them an empty frame to do with as they please.  On a side note the colony started on starter strips appears to be the stronger of the two.  With more drawn frames and a larger brood nest.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 01:27:03 pm »
From my understanding and what I have read on this forum, the bees know what to do and when to do it. I would not worry about drones. I also noticed very little amount of drones in my strong hive compared to what I usually see. Oh well!!  If they need them, they will make them.

Annette

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 10:48:59 pm »
Lack of drone cells are a blessing, it tells you the bees are focusing on developing their home and have no intention of swarming.  Even if there were a queen cup or 2 to be found the lack of drone brood says, Hey, we like it here and we're working. 
Enjoy the serendipity.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything