Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PDMattox Worked Me Like a Horse  (Read 2163 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
PDMattox Worked Me Like a Horse
« on: July 13, 2007, 11:33:21 pm »
Just kidding!

THANKS DALLAS, for your generosity to take some time to show me the ropes.  (I am a very new beek)

Dallas (PDMattox) invited me to Lake City to check some hives of his to help me get some confidence, some experience and have an opportunity to see what he does and ask a bunch of questions.  Besides, its fun to meet another beek in FL.     

We met at the Dadant store and after getting the items I needed, we headed to a cantalope field where Dallas has a bunch of hives.  Of course we stopped for some grub in the form of raisin/cinnamon biscuits at Hardees.

We made it to the field and I was glad to have a truck.  I will never have anything other than a truck.  Even though I have a small truck it has been invaluable.  That 4 banger keeps on running and I have used it to its full capacity over the years...  back to beekeeping.

We got our stuff setup and we proceeded to check a bunch of hives.  One time, as I was kneeled in front of a hive, Dallas said something like, "you should see all bees swarming around you".  I looked around and they sure were all around and a bunch of them.

After watching Dallas manipulate the frames and I was struggling due to the gloves.  I decided to just take them off.  Well, I don't think I will be wearing them on any regular basis any longer.  The gloves really slow me down as well as make it more difficult to do many things.  I thought that the bees crawling on my hands would bother me but you really don't feel them most of the time.   

I finally was able to start to pick out some eggs after Dallas guided me many times.  When I got home, I decided to inspect mine quickly while I had everything out and hoped I could at least confirm some eggs but I could not find any in the hive I checked.  It seems that the cells were so deep on mine. 

It was very hot.  Heat index was 100 degrees with a very high humidity. 

I learned alot and was able to asked alot of questions. 

Dallas, thanks a bunch!  I appreciate it.  Don't forget about the rain check on lunch.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: PDMattox Worked Me Like a Horse
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 11:51:32 pm »
MG, that's great that you and Dallas were able to get together. Welcome to beekeeping, enjoy the never ending journey of lessons that beekeeping bestows upon us. Its great to be able to share ideas and experience with fellow beeks, have a good one.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 12:56:41 am »
This members helping members and jumping around meeting other members has got to stop. People will come to these boards and thing they are filled with a bunch of nice people.
(sarcasm)

I am glad to hear Dallas showed you the ropes. I have had the great pleasure of meeting him and also think he is a great person. Careful though after meeting him you may really get into this bee thing.:D

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Jack's Stacks is getting a call from me for dinner in Kansas City.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 01:22:10 am »
Thanks Guys for the kind words and I feel very fortunate  to have met both of you as well.  I had a great day hanging out in the bee yard with matt and have a couple pics to share. Yea, what is this thing with all these forum members going out and doing secret meetings and such?  What is this forum coming to?

P.S. I will not forget and I look forward to that lunch and some more social time. :)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 09:55:46 am »
Whaddaya mean soylent green is people? ...Yes, people eating people, isn't that what its all about?  Oh, happy beekeeping everyone. :-D
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2007, 12:02:51 pm »
Whaddaya mean soylent green is people? ...Yes, people eating people, isn't that what its all about?  Oh, happy beekeeping everyone. :-D
Soylent Green was one of the impact films of the 70's. It has since become a cult classic.
With two memorable movie quotes:
Tuesday is Soylent Green Day.
and
Soylent Green is people!

If you have not seen this film please do so. It is a bit dated but still holds it's own. Just don't look for fancy computer special effects.

You may modify the quote as :
Honey is Bee Barf.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Currently sitting in KC airport waiting for my wife to arrive.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything