Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings from the Missouri Ozarks  (Read 2120 times)

Offline huzzah

• Brood
Greetings from the Missouri Ozarks
« on: September 19, 2006, 04:41:03 pm »
Greetings from the Missouri Ozarks;

Life is very good here now.
I have had my first hive since a year ago April and was recently gifted a hollow 8 foot long 18 inch diameter silver maple log with a large hive in it.
I "planted" the new hive back behind my orchard/vineyard two weeks ago.
I became interested in getting a hive in order to pollinate native wildflowers for seed production on my farm, but it turns out that the european honeybees are not neccessarily adapted to many of our native ozark flowers.
regarless, I really have enjoyed learning about and keeping bees
My bees and I have had a few setbacks over the last 18 months and so I've not yet tasted the sweet fruits of our labor .It will be that much better when we finally are able to produce some surplus honey for we humans.
Good luck to all.

Huzzah Man :D
stop the darned wars

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Greetings from the Missouri Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 11:33:50 pm »
You will need to transfer your hive in a hollow log into a conventional Langstroth hive in order to comply with state agricultural regulations.  Due to certain diseases that bees are susceptable to all states require that bees be kept in hives with removeable frames for inspection purposes.  Not doing so, and getting found out can result in some serious fines as well as destructiion of the bees and their home.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!