Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Vac  (Read 4065 times)

Offline expatcm

• New Bee
Bee Vac
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:38 pm »
There are various threads writing about Bee Vacs. Some have great photographs.

I have one question though.

The photographs often show that an electric motor is used and it looks like there is a mains power lead running off the motor.

I do not know where these vacs are used but is it really the case that mains power is always available?  What is the solution when there is no power to be found ... ? 

A car battery would be real heavy to move round and also very limited in the amount of power available.  I would just love it if in vacuuming bees the battery ran out of charge ....

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Bee Vac
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:10:58 pm »
Most people either bring a gas powered generator or connect an inverter to their car battery(still inside the car).  Since most cutouts are in buildings you can usually get your vehicle within range of a long extension cord.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 11:38:54 pm »
Yep, inverters and generators. I keep a minimum of 200' of extension cords in my trailer.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:41:23 am »
Yea, I've a 2,000 watt inverter on my truck, and the truck has 2 batteries, and I've got a hundred feet of 10 gauge extension cord. I guess the only thing I'm in need of is a BeeVac!!!!!!!!!!    :roll:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 10:38:46 am »
Yep, Beevacs come in very handy, but are not 100% necessary for performing a removal.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 06:55:19 pm »
You mean I'm not the only one who still does it by hand?

Big Bear

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:01:26 pm »
i do it without.  there have been times i would have like one just to speed things up, but my survival rates are pretty good and with only one exception, i have gotten the queen.  i'll probably get around to making one eventually......
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:11:55 pm »
I've done plenty without. They come in handy especially when you have lots of numbers to contend with.

...JP

bigbearomaha

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 11:30:02 pm »
My Daddy always told me if I couldn't do it the hard way, I just wasn't gonna get it done.

I still think of that when I'm pushing the car to pop the clutch on the hill.

Big Bear

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2009, 05:38:01 am »
Yes, I've gotten all my swarms with a bucket on the end of a 10 foot piece of tubing and a ladder.  :-D

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 09:54:13 pm »
I have used a bee vac on all of my cutouts.  Wouldn't do it without one!  Sure helps get the population down before cutting into the ceiling/wall.  On 2 occasions this year I spent hours vacuuming bees one day and doing the cutout the next day.  Then I put the two back together.  Don't use a bee vac bucket.  My beevac is actually a 10 frame super (brood/med/shallow).
De Colores,
Ken

anything