Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Package bees: How long can they wait?  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Package bees: How long can they wait?
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:01 pm »
I had a message on our answering machine when I got home from work telling me that my bees from Walter Kelly had arrived, but that I must sign for them because they were insured. (Otherwise they would have left them on my porch).  I will call and pick them up personally first thing tomorrow and hive them as soon as the temperature breaks 50 (I hope this is the right point).  I am curious if I need to take any special measures since they were in the box this long.  I am hiving them on fully drawn comb with several frames of pollen and honey.  I will also add baggie feeders of 1:1 on top of the bars.  Will this be enough?
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Package bees: How long can they wait?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 09:30:55 pm »
Make sure they don't go hungry until you hive them.  A baggie feeder should do.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19:32 am »
Michael,
How the heck would you get a baggie feeder in the cage with out a complete mess !
Would not spraying the cage with sugar water be quicker and easier if the syrup can was empty ?

My simple mind just wandering.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:04:48 pm »
I have had packages that arrived on a less than desirable day to install.  I kept them in the basement a couple days, spraying the screen with sugar water periodically and they did fine.  Certainly giving them drawn comb, pollen and honey frames along with a baggie when you install will give them a good start.  My packages from Walter T. Kelley are do to arrive the 22nd.  Good luck.

David

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2009, 07:57:06 pm »
>>I am hiving them on fully drawn comb with several frames of pollen and honey.  I will also add baggie feeders of 1:1 on top of the bars.
>How the heck would you get a baggie feeder in the cage with out a complete mess !

You wouldn't.  He was talking about putting on the top bars.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:58:56 pm »
Michael;
Sorry I misunderstood Your instructions;

> Make sure they don't go hungry till you hive them. a baggie feeder will do.

Just sounded to me as thought they had not been hived yet !

Sorry didn't have my hearing aids in.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2009, 11:09:36 pm »
They've not been hived yet;  they are in my garage.  It did not get above 48 today and the wind was fierce.  It should be in the high 50's to 60' tomorrow.   I am spraying the packages with 1:1 as I do not know the status of their feeder can.  They were shipped Saturday, and it will be Wednesday before they are hived.  I will hive them on honey and pollen and place the baggie as Michael Busch discussed.  I ahve some feeders inbound and will replace the baggies with these on arrival.  I am most concerned when the bees are in the box.  I know I can feed them out in the hive.  I am glad to hear that the spray is a good idea and that a baggie will enusre their status when hived. 
Brian

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 08:34:55 pm »
Sorry.  Two questions.  Two answers.

>>I am curious if I need to take any special measures since they were in the box this long.
>Make sure they don't go hungry till you hive them.

>>I am hiving them on fully drawn comb with several frames of pollen and honey.  I will also add baggie feeders of 1:1 on top of the bars.  Will this be enough?
>A baggie feeder will do.
-------------------