Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First inspection  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Powisden

• New Bee
First inspection
« on: July 19, 2014, 06:50:22 am »
Hi guys, I've had my bees for six weeks now and they're doing very well indeed. I went in there for my first inspection a month after my ladies had settled in and they, so far, have been exemplary in their behaviour! The queen is obviously doing her job well because the body count is steadily increasing and it gets the heart racing a little when you open up that sucker and the hive is alive with babes going about their business. I only wear the hat because I would be constantly swiping at them. Other than that it's shorts 'n t shirts and a couple of puffs of smoke and it's all good.

No sign of mites, bugs etc so far - I have no idea how many bee keepers there are within five miles or so of me but the fewer the better.

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
Re: First inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 07:09:48 am »
awesome going, and always good to hear.

Offline Powisden

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:22 am »
Thank you! Been a looooong time since I first wanted bees and now I'm up to my neck in pleasure. :D

Offline Joe Moore

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:20 pm »
Not too much to worry about with the neighbors having bees as well. I have not found the saturation density for bees in a urban setting yet. I am in the middle of Lexington, KY (300,000 + population) with 6 very strong hives in my yard, my neighbor has 4 more, three doors down has 5 more and I know of 3 more feral colonies in tree within a 2 block radius. No ill effects yet. Hope you enjoy your bees as much as I do. 

anything