Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SMALL HIVE BEETLE  (Read 7418 times)

Offline rusty

• New Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« on: February 02, 2006, 08:14:13 am »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Friends,

I am very woried about the possibilty of SHB infecting my hives. What is the situation at present, (last I heard it was in Portugal). How are we going to deal with this thing, as I understand it, it is pretty indestructable. As if Varroa wasn't bad enough!.

Rusty

PS I submitted this into the Greetings Page by mistake. AIN'T THAT JUST LIKE RUSTY!!
Rusty Wise,

Author and illustrator of the Belinda Bee Books,and A little Book of Bee Poems
www.trafford.com (Search Desk)
http://www.pcela.co.yu/IndexE.htm

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
Re: SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 08:46:01 am »
Quote from: rusty

PS I submitted this into the Greetings Page by mistake. AIN'T THAT JUST LIKE RUSTY!!

I deleted the post in the greetings section for you :-)

Offline rusty

• New Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 08:51:55 am »
Thank you!!
Rusty Wise,

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 10:05:52 pm »
I don't think you have Small Hive Beetle in the UK do you?

Most people in most places in Northern climates don't find them that devestating, just a nuisance like wax moths are.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 11:07:42 pm »
I have found that wax moths are pretty devastating to hives if the hive is weak and/or you give the bees too much room.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006, 02:19:36 am »
I believe before its over, the SHB will be like varroa, Everywhere!!!!! it just a matter of time......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 02:23:14 am »
I heard it is in Georgia and Florida. That is why I only get my bees from cali.
Ryan Horn

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 02:33:11 am »
you way behind horn, most every state has them now, i have heard they were in california 4-5 years ago, just had this topic in beesource,,, read this

http://www.beesource.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000624
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
SHB definitely
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 02:50:48 am »
Florida bee keeper here.
We definitely have SHBs here in Florida. They just got done decimating my hive. A weak hive will be destroyed by them. Here is what I was able to observe. The SHB lays eggs in the hive, the SHB lavare grows and eats through the comb. I have witnesses this. I literally froze a section of comb with the lavare in it so I could take a better look at it.

The best defense against them is a strong hive, but right now it seems to be there are always going some SHBs in the hive. The idea is to keep them to a minimum.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Beetle Bailey???
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2006, 08:19:29 am »
Understud, how are your captured bees doing?

Haven't seen you around here for sometime.

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Beetle Bailey???
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 08:19:52 am »
Understudy,  how are your captured bees doing?

Haven't seen you around here for sometime.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
bees status
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 10:00:00 am »
Hi Jack,

I have been reading posts just not making a lot of them. I didn't want to become a chronic, not only that I am suppose to have a life. However I have been keeping a small listing of items with the bees on my website.
You can read articles at :
http://www.understudy.net/page2.html
For the readers digest version of it. Let's say I am very effective at killing bees.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
FUTILE Effort ???
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 09:44:07 am »
Read your tale of woe, Understudy.

Typical results.  Some of the seemingly simple feral bee captures are very often not so. Having done a few I have resolved to not get involved except with the sure bets. And yes, bees in the wrong locations will usually be exterminated, but...

Since it seems that the AHB is established in FL there will no doubt be many feral bee exterminations.  Have your new friends in the bee world had experience with the AHB's yet?

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: SHB definitely
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 11:03:08 am »
Quote from: Understudy
Florida bee keeper here.
We definitely have SHBs here in Florida. They just got done decimating my hive. A weak hive will be destroyed by them.

Is it possible to get a nuc, package bees, swarms or what ever to put in new order your hive.  I suppose that it is summer there are bees and flowers :?   Orrrr, just wait and some African swarm comes in.

We have only -5C frost here and 15 cm snow.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
AHB & SHB in FLA to many acronyms
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 11:14:31 am »
Yes, AHBs have been found in the county just north of me. It was great because I was doing the PR rounds with my neighbors discussing my new bees and the newspaper headlines that morning were all about the AHBs found in the next county.

The biggest problem on the SHBs for me was that because I let the hive get weak, the SHBs were able to get real strong. Also trying to find a replacement queen in Janurary isn't easy.

I have two hives now, picked up the second one yesterday. Cost me $200 but it came with 30,000 bees and one deep, and one medium. It also had a plastic queen excluder. It has a mesh bottom also. Mine all have board bottoms.

Now we are having the coldest weather of the year, 36 F / 2.2C for the next two days. My bees won't even come out. I don't blame them I want to stay in bed also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Offline Ymbe

• New Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2006, 06:50:30 am »
Quote from: Michael Bush
I don't think you have Small Hive Beetle in the UK do you?

Most people in most places in Northern climates don't find them that devestating, just a nuisance like wax moths are.

According to the National Bee Unit we don't have SHB in the UK at present. This is the current advisory leaflet for your information.

http://www.csl.gov.uk/science/organ/environ/bee/diseases/documents/SHB_factsheet.pdf

Offline rusty

• New Bee
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2006, 07:05:58 am »
Thank you for posting that leaflet, very interesting and informative. You maybe think I am making a typcally female fuss about this little beast, but all that I have read is pretty ugly, and I don't want to find it in my hives. I really love my bees, and would hate to see them decimated by SHB. I hope there is some sort of method of controling them being sought. seems like we really need it.
Thank you once again

Rusty
Rusty Wise,

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
SMALL HIVE BEETLE
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2006, 07:25:05 am »
>You maybe think I am making a typcally female fuss about this little beast, but all that I have read is pretty ugly, and I don't want to find it in my hives.

Me neither.  I hope they never get to the UK.  Unfortunately they ARE here.  So far I haven't seen any, but it's bound to happen sooner or later.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: AHB & SHB in FLA to many acronyms
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2006, 08:05:12 am »
Quote from: Understudy
Yes, AHBs have been found in the county just north of me. It was great because I was doing the PR rounds with my neighbors discussing my new bees and the newspaper headlines that morning were all about the AHBs found in the next county.

The biggest problem on the SHBs for me was that because I let the hive get weak, the SHBs were able to get real strong. Also trying to find a replacement queen in Janurary isn't easy.

I have two hives now, picked up the second one yesterday. Cost me $200 but it came with 30,000 bees and one deep, and one medium. It also had a plastic queen excluder. It has a mesh bottom also. Mine all have board bottoms.

Now we are having the coldest weather of the year, 36 F / 2.2C for the next two days. My bees won't even come out. I don't blame them I want to stay in bed also.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Don't fret the temp. My bees were active yesterday. One of my hives had a coming out party yesterday. The coming out bees were doing their orientation dance. Quite pleasent to witness. The morning temp was 30 degrees F and the afternoon got to around 50 or so. The air was slightly chilly but the sky was blue and clear.  I felt like dancing myself. 8)

Well you and your fellow beeks in FL will have to make some serious decisions about keeping bees in the near future due to this AHB INVASION.  What are you, and, your fellow beeks contemplating?

It seems like ya'll will have to formulate some plan of action or the state will step in.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
what to do
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2006, 08:15:50 am »
Since I am relativley new to bee keeping I am not actually planning on doing a lot about the AHB issue. I am glad I have my hives. AHBs love to fill in a vaccumm. I figure my best bet is to make sure my hives stay healthy and my queens will probably get replaced only with queens from reputable dealers. I am more interested right now in finding an effective natural way to deal with SHBs. Maybe I should let my hedgehog eat them.

Sincerely,
Brendhan