Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: EXTRACTOR HELP  (Read 1643 times)

Offline ADAME2M

• New Bee
EXTRACTOR HELP
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:40:06 am »
Hi everybody!

I just got a 4-frame little wonder Dadant hand extractor, when I got home
I started to clean all the parts with steel wool. The rivets seem to have some rust that I won't be able to clean between the basket and the castiron parts.
I was thinking on removing those rivets, I just got to find a way to remove them. After I remove them I will replace them with stainless steel bolts, and nuts.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa480/ADAME2M/bees/

Thank you everybody.

M. Adame
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 12:05:21 pm by Robo »

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
Re: EXTRACTOR HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:02:43 pm »
i don't know if you can get in there to do this, but the simplest way is to drill the heads off the rivets. if you can't do that you can use a chisel, but be careful not to hit too hard and destroy everything else in the process.
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »
You can also grind them.  Dremel, snag grinder, the new right angle abrasive saw would all work.   It is a question of what you can fit in to work.  If the parts are cast be careful with drilling and punching  because you can crack the holes.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:39 pm »
You could also clean the rust off and paint with galvanized paint over the new cleaned steel.   

Offline ADAME2M

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 11:35:13 pm »
Thankyou everybody for your help

I was also told to clean as much as I can with steel wool, then use food grade epoxy.
What do you guys think, should I keep going with my original idea or do  the epoxy?

Thanks again

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 10:07:32 am »
I would not use steel wool and I would not paint any stainless.  The steel wool will get trapped everywhere, rust, and fall into the honey.  Use a wire brush only.  Sand blast only if you can disassemble to the point that you can clean the sand off completely.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it