Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hummingbirds this year with bees  (Read 3002 times)

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
hummingbirds this year with bees
« on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:10 pm »
Ok this might bee a stupid question but, i am curious does anyone feed hummingbirds with bees in there backyard?  The reason I ask is hummingbirds feeders have sugar water in it.  I know that attracts bees.  What do you guys do?  I dont want to start a frenzzy at the feeders

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hummingbirds this year with bees
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 08:48:24 pm »
has not been an issue.  i have 3 feeders by the house.  sometimes the bees will check out a drip, but other than that, they leave it alone.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 09:05:46 pm »
I had dead bee bodies in mine and had to remove it - who knew they would squeeze through such tiny little holes  :?

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 03:33:06 am »
Like kathyp I have three hummer feeders and the bees leave them alone.  The biggest problem is red wasps.  These will even go after the birds.  Got two in a moth trap. :-D
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline abates99

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 03:59:33 pm »
We have 2 hummingbird feeders within a couple hundred feet of the hive and the bee's only occasionaly come by and eye the feeders, but never stop.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 07:45:31 am »
Some of the hummingbird feeders are made to be bee proof.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything