Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pallet building  (Read 25954 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Pallet building
« on: January 12, 2007, 08:21:14 pm »
I am building 4 way pallets for my migratory outfit.  Pictures will be added for step by step construction. 
I got the first pallet out of a pile of pallets to be thrown away due to rot and thought it would be a great template.  The layout here is for a four way, 8 frame pallet.

I first cut a 12'-2x4 into 3 pieces at 46.5 inches. 

I then cut all of the peices for the box to sit on. Used a 1x4 and cut in strips. 4-1x18", 2-1x7",2-1x28",and 2-2x18

Then took 1/2 inch pressure treated plywood and cut up into  pieces measuring 21 and 1/8 inches by 28 and 1/8 inches.
Now nail all together.

The finished product.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:38:40 pm by pdmattox »

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: Pallet building
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 08:51:51 pm »
Hey looks good you got it all figured out
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 07:40:49 am »
dmattox;  I would be concerned about bees traveling on pressure treated plywood, then on honey.  Charlie

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:55:04 am »
dmattox;  I would be concerned about bees traveling on pressure treated plywood, then on honey.  Charlie

I will check into it for sure, thanks for the heads up though.  Not that it matters but I know of 2 commercial operaters that use the pressure treated wood for their pallets also.

Offline imabkpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:16 am »

I will check into it for sure, thanks for the heads up though.  Not that it matters but I know of 2 commercial operaters that use the pressure treated wood for their pallets also.

Quote;  pdmattox; I was told by a long time beekeeper and personel at two lumber yards not to use pressure treated lumber if the bees were going to live and travel on it. could be possible wax and honey contamination.

My bottom boards are made of cypress so i built my pallets to fit my bottom boards. They look a lot like the ones in the pictures you posted. They work very good. I hope you find what you are trying to do is safe .  Good luck  Charlie

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Pallet building--update
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:50:51 pm »
Today I called the dept of apiary inspection and talked to Mr.Jerry Hayes and asked about using the pressure treated wood and was told to let it weather for a couple of weeks and all would be fine. The treated wood is treated with MCQ and after a couple of weeks of weathering will be fine to use. :-D

Offline FordGuy

• House Bee
Re: Pallet building--update
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:01:44 am »
Today I called the dept of apiary inspection and talked to Mr.Jerry Hayes and asked about using the pressure treated wood and was told to let it weather for a couple of weeks and all would be fine. The treated wood is treated with MCQ and after a couple of weeks of weathering will be fine to use. :-D

This really bothers me for some reason.  Are you sure it is MCQ?  what about a couple weeks weathering makes it safe?  what if it doesn't rain?  What are the residual effects?  How much MCQ is safe for a human to consume?  Does it accumulate like mercury?  What about children?  how much can they consume? 

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 05:59:39 pm »
Here is some info I found.  http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/products/product.aspx?id=17

"Do not use preserved wood under circumstances where the preservative may become a component of food, animal feed, or beehives."

I think this is talking about building beehives out of the treated lumber but I don't know for sure.

I cant imagine that it would be a problem to set beehives on the lumber like Dallas is doing. I use treated 4x4s under my hives.

I have a call into Great Southern Woods in AL. to find out for sure.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 06:15:50 pm »

This really bothers me for some reason.  Are you sure it is MCQ?  what about a couple weeks weathering makes it safe?  what if it doesn't rain?  What are the residual effects?  How much MCQ is safe for a human to consume?  Does it accumulate like mercury?  What about children?  how much can they consume? 
[/quote]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>  yes I am sure of what material I used.
> I think the "weathering" lets the MCQ and wood dry out.
> not sure if it matters if it rains, I have a water hose.
> not sure the children are afected any more than they would be by playing on playground equipment.
> As far as how much they can consume and does it accumulate like mercury I'll refer you to the msds sheet for I could not find the answer for that one.

http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/uploadedFiles/YW-MCQ-MSDS.pdf

Offline CWBees

• House Bee
    • CWBees
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:18:21 pm »
The hives are sitting on top of the pallets which are made of pressure treated wood. The hives are not made of pressure treated wood. I can not see any problem with this. How can the honey become contaminated?
A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:24:03 pm »
are your pallets part of your hives?????? or do you set the hives on the pallets with the BB resting on the pallets?
i think the concern would be if the pallet were part of the interior of the hive. but even then, when bees go out on the town and they sit on someones treated lumber deck shootin' the sh....well you get the point..they dont wipe their feet before reentering the hive. even if the queen told them they should. you know how kids are.

Offline CWBees

• House Bee
    • CWBees
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:30:11 pm »
What, you think the bees are now contaminated because they are perched on pressure treated lumber. Give me a break! Pressure treated lumber is a problem when you cut it, :lol: and breath in the sawdust otherwise it is contained. The bee would prob. die on the lumber like a canary in a coal mine if it was that bad.
A swarm in May is worth a bale of hay.
A swarm in June is worth a silver spoon.
A swarm in July isn't worth a fly.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 11:37:01 pm »
are your pallets part of your hives?????? or do you set the hives on the pallets with the BB resting on the pallets?
i think the concern would be if the pallet were part of the interior of the hive. but even then, when bees go out on the town and they sit on someones treated lumber deck shootin' the sh....well you get the point..they dont wipe their feet before reentering the hive. even if the queen told them they should. you know how kids are.

The pallet is the bottom board and there is a lot of commercial honey producers that have had no problems.  They have samples pulled from the barrells to be tested before they ship the honey.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 11:38:36 pm »
i don't think they are contaminated because they are sitting on pressure treated lumber....but how would that be different if the hive itself were made of PT lumber?
and i think that the long term danger of PT lumber is the leaching out of the chemicals.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 11:52:40 pm »
Dadant sells this stuff to coat hive equipment called coppertox.  I could not find the info online but last time I checked it was somthing like the MCQ.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 12:21:07 am »
I really like the ONE PIECE BOTTOM BOARD in a PALLET is a real nifty idea for bees and supers CONSTANTLY being rearranged, moved, split, etc..

I saw these in person, I saw them inspected, frame rearrages, super adding, medication and finally loading onto a truck, tied off and properly rigged for any trip so that everything is secure.

I'm old school on this, these pallet-bottomboards are wax free, clean easily and have little issues with burr comb. I think the EIGHT FRAME DESIGN which is 2 less frames and about 3 inches shorter than what I'm use to using. I like 8 frame alot.

I find nothing wrong with the treated wood as a bottom board, bees walk in and up into frames, they spend very little tme on the bottom boards anyways. I really don't see the issue against these wonderfully inovative board designs in the small to commercial bee pollination services. It is nearly perfect for what is needed of it - getting more from less is ALWAYS a good thing.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2007, 12:12:32 am »
looks to me like a sheet of regular CDX plywood (TREATED IS GREEN) that the hives sit on and treated 2x4 runners under the plywood to support all 4 hives and keep the plywood off the ground.... its no difference from my hives sitting on 4x4 beams to keep them off the ground, no one is supposed to use treated wood in a hive, bad for the bee's and us, this is not happening in this case.....all looks good
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 06:45:09 am »
i think the ply is treated.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 02:02:19 pm »
well we can ask, Dallas is the plywood treated??

I can tell by looking at the picture that only the 2x4's are treated, everyone nose you cant put treated wood in a hive even though so have tried it, but dallas learned from some commercial beekeepers down there and yaw should at lest give him  and the commercial guys some credit and benifit of the dought....

the plywood looks like it has been stored for awhile before using, thats all..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 08:34:18 pm »

Then took 1/2 inch pressure treated plywood and cut up into  pieces measuring 21 and 1/8 inches by 28 and 1/8 inches.