Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New member from the Maritimes.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Bogbilly

• Brood
  • Slow and steady wins the race
New member from the Maritimes.
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:10:12 am »
Hi everybody.  Just a bit about myself.  I live in New Brunswick Canada but was born in Maine.  Not much difference between the two.  I play the bagpipes(that's why I am now in Canada) Love Harley Davidson Motorcycles, raise chickens for meat and eggs and will be entering the adventure of raising bees.  I plan to buy my bees in the spring of 2014 and see if I have what it takes to raise bees.  I intend to do it naturally if possible.  I have read just about everything on the net about bee rearing but that doesn't make me a beekeeper.  I will be using the Nordstrom 10 frame hive but haven't decided weather to use 2 deeps or 3 Medium supers for my base. I will be building most of my wood were to save money.  I will need and welcome all the assistance and advice I can get.  Here's to a bright future.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: New member from the Maritimes.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 10:18:44 am »
Welcome to the forum, Bogbilly.  There is a lot of threads and videos here.  You may also see if there is a local beee club, they can also bee a big help.  Beek is very addictive.  Good luck

Joe

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:23:47 am »
I play the bagpipes(that's why I am now in Canada)

did they run you out of Main?   :?

I will be using the Nordstrom 10 frame hive but haven't decided weather to use 2 deeps or 3 Medium supers for my base. I will be building most of my wood were to save money. 

there are a lot of advantages to having all your equipment the same size.  if i were starting over, i'd probably go with all mediums. there's been a some written on here about it and i don't remember anyone not liking using mediums. 

welcome to the site!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 11:06:35 am »
Welcome to the forum.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 12:28:15 pm »
>> I play the bagpipes(that's why I am now in Canada)
>did they run you out of Main?

I was wondering myself.  Did they pass a law against bagpipes in Maine.  I can understand if they did, but it would seem unamerican... ;)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 05:11:20 pm »
Welcome!

Funny you should mention bagpipes. At a huge bluegrass festival (10,000 to 15,000 in attendance over three days/nights) in the Mountains some scottish(?) folks were staying nearby in a hotel. They asked if they could play the bagpipes on stage. They were politely told that in keeping with the bluegrass tradition that music didn't really fit in. Again, all in conversation were gentlemen on both sides. So he informed his group of the news. They suited up(?) started playing and marching around the hotel parking lot. It was only a short while before over half the folks at the bluegrass festival was over at the hotel :lau:

I agreed with the bluegrass folks prespective on keeping it bluegrass but I got a kick out of it too.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline TNBeeLady

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 09:47:17 pm »
Welcome Bogbilly!  One thing to consider is the deep supers are really heavy when they're full.  Good luck!

Offline Bogbilly

• Brood
  • Slow and steady wins the race
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 07:09:17 pm »
Well thanks for the words of encouragement.  No the state of Maine didn't push out I left for the love of a good woman.  More pipe bands in the Maritimes anyway.  I have decided to go with standard deep boxes on the bottom and Mediums on top.  I have put my order in for my bees, getting 2 colonies from one supplier and 2 from another one. we will see how things turn out. 

Moots

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 07:31:52 pm »
Hi everybody.  Just a bit about myself.  I live in New Brunswick Canada but was born in Maine.  Not much difference between the two.  I play the bagpipes(that's why I am now in Canada) Love Harley Davidson Motorcycles, raise chickens for meat and eggs and will be entering the adventure of raising bees.  I plan to buy my bees in the spring of 2014 and see if I have what it takes to raise bees.  I intend to do it naturally if possible.  I have read just about everything on the net about bee rearing but that doesn't make me a beekeeper.  I will be using the Nordstrom 10 frame hive but haven't decided weather to use 2 deeps or 3 Medium supers for my base. I will be building most of my wood were to save money.  I will need and welcome all the assistance and advice I can get.  Here's to a bright future.

Is this a typo and you meant Langstroth?  Or is this some hive stye I'm not familiar with?....The only Nordstrom that I'm familiar with is a department store...

anything