Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another stupid proverb  (Read 7286 times)

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
Re: Another stupid proverb
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 08:40:36 am »
If true one can only 'assume' that you just haven't lived long enough yet or you haven't spent enough time outside in harsh weather or your just one who is able to blindly ignore extreme conditions. 

You choose, as this is all very tiring and serves no purpose. 

I'm ashamed that I got caught up in the game.  I'll try not to let it happen again....NOT. 

People surviving in a sleeping bag???  For how long?   A few days at best.  I just don't get the joke or the debate. 

The 30 persons you mention in an un-heated house would all still be dead (frozen stiff) come Spring in North Wisconsin

thomas 
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 09:00:37 am »
Tbeek,
If you read Hankdogs post in this thread I think he gave some good advice. Cool it. If you don't agree so so and let that be it.Finski never directed his OP at anyone directly,just at the general idea. On the other hand your response was verging on a personal attack. This is the kind of thing I made a post about earlier in the week about.It makes for a lot of work for the Mod staff when this stuff takes off running. And believe it or not,we all volunteer our time here.We all have regular day jobs and watch over the forum in our spare time.Which we generally enjoy.
I did not originally call any one directly to the carpet,but as there are a select few that like to constantly agitate one another it may be time to take other actions.
So all that see this and like jumping on a bandwagon when it comes along,remember the bandwagon can come to a screeching halt.

With that being said,agree to disagree kindly or keep your thoughts from the keyboard.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 09:48:25 am »
Sorry buzzbee, no offence intended, but I've never called anyones ideas or opinions stupid, nor have I ever attacked anyone (since taking off the uniform anyway), you'll have to show me proof of that. 

It does seem apparent that some (just a few) posters have free reign to belittle anyone they desire w/ no noticable consequence at all.  There are some who clearly deserve admonishment from the forum, but who just keep getting away w/ confrontational behavior over and over. 

Before ever posting a single word on Beemaster I was a lurker for over two years, but I still chose this forum over others because it seemed more civil.  It's a shame mods aren't able to chime in 'before' these things digress.  You must know who the trouble makers are.  Am I now on that list?

I can only apologize for sinking to the same level (as others) if that's what I've been accused of and will refrain from being baited into these debates in the future, but I must ask;

Is this a two way forum or a one way forum?   

Again, I sincerely apologize if I've offended anyone on the forum. 

thomas

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 10:07:51 am »
Comparing humans with bees is stupid (not my first choice of words, just following OP) rolleyes.  

No list kept,just sometimes cabin fever sets in way too early it seems. I wish I had time to jump in every time. Or time to read every post every day. But I don't.
There have been many instances when regulars have been reeled in. Generally it's a one time thing and we forgive and forget.It just depends on the people involved.
And there were a few other threads involving other posters that I had mentioned about before I just throw caution out now and again. No hard feelings.

Key phrase in your post: "Don't get baited in!" :)

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2011, 03:00:05 pm »
If true one can only 'assume' that you just haven't lived long enough yet or you haven't spent enough time outside in harsh weather or your just one who is able to blindly ignore extreme conditions.  

You choose, as this is all very tiring and serves no purpose.  

I'm ashamed that I got caught up in the game.  I'll try not to let it happen again....NOT.  

People surviving in a sleeping bag???  For how long?   A few days at best.  I just don't get the joke or the debate.  

The 30 persons you mention in an un-heated house would all still be dead (frozen stiff) come Spring in North Wisconsin

thomas  

Food + water + insulation = survival you dont need heat if you have enough insulation.  See Iniut see laplander see polar expolartion... Read about the heroes of Telemark.
Amundsen walked to the south pole... he didnt fly and his stoves were to cook the food!

Bees and humans are heat engines that convert carbohydrates into energy, water and Co2, they have a limited range of heat loss they can sustain, It is ably demonstrated by human emdeavour that they can survive given sufficient insulation, food and water. Scientific studies have shown bees can do it given suffiencent insulation food and water.

The point is of this thread is to provoke thought and reasoning  about the environment you provide to your bees  not to rely on proverbs.
Reasoning will result in You providing your bees with both insulation and food. and understand that putting them a convection driven chiller is cruelty or a failure in reasoning

A 3/4" wooden beehive needs 6Watts for every degree C change in temp (only if you dont make into a U.S. beekeeping convection chiller it takes a lot more if you do). Commercial foam hives in Europe are 0.7 of a watt per degree C. It is easy to make a hive that is 0.25 Watt or lower  for every degree C. That means you can have a hive where if the little buzzers wanted could be at 34C in the whole hive with it -40C outside.

I can go to my local builders yard and get materials  and build a small box room in a cold store at -40C with a k value of just under  1 watt per degree C in which I would happily sit naked (with no heating)  Supply me with food, water  beer and  a chemical toilet and a TV(low power LED). I use the same physics

T Beek  I fear no word are going to convince you - why dont you do some experiments, with a 20w heater and a temperature probe and some insulation materials. Do not rely on proverbs and 100 year old practices
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 03:44:15 pm by derekm »
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2011, 04:58:03 pm »
derekm,

I agree with a great deal of what you are saying. But it is unclear to me if you are actively against ventilation (in proper moderation) or simply choosing to ignore the need for air exchange.

The degree to which this is necessary will of course be largely controlled by local climate.

Food water and insulation are adequate only for short term survival, for long term health you need proper air quality.

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
ventilation...all for it , we are talking method, timing amount.
The idea is to keep the hive temp within the bees range of control in a well insulated hive:  in winter or when heat must be husbanded  wall convection circulation. i.e. bottom entrance only with open mesh floor or baffled variant.  In summer or when heat is in surplus, chimney convection i.e. a top vent or entrance with a bottom vent or entrance.
Reason does not suggest "a sealed hive", more like a trapped bubble of warmth in a open bottomed  container for winter. The low tunnel entrance design of an igloo is not by chance.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:43:27 pm by derekm »
If they increased energy bill for your home by a factor of 4.5 would you consider that cruel? If so why are you doing that to your bees?

Offline windfall

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 08:46:18 pm »
I would think a open mesh floor (even with baffles) in my environment in winter would render insulation almost useless.  wind blowing across that would cause an air exchange rate far surpassing the abilities of the bees heat output in winter cluster. The bubble you describe  would only exist in the calmest conditions beyond those you are going to get turbulent mixing not a convective cell inside the hive.

A small top vent does utilize a chimney effect (if there is also a bottom entrance) but air flow can be restricted to the desired rate by opening size.
A bottom entrance alone (no mesh) is attractive in the same way as your igloo analogy, but proper sizing would seem critical to insure enough air flow to avoid issues with damp under a variety of conditions.

I don't pretend to have the right solutions, I would just argue that the problem is complex and nuanced.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2011, 01:30:53 am »
One stupid proverb more......

"I heat oven, not room air".  yeas you do if you use a oven mass as heat store.
When i was child we had only oven heating.  over night kitchen door was closed that heat does not escape to empty room.

When we woke up in the morning and went to kitchen to drink tea, there was about 10C.

Then it came oil heating. The oil burner transfered the heat directly to the room air. The oil burner did not store any energy.

Same is with electrict heating. Thermostate takes the heat level from air and heat the air.
Heat is stored to the building an it take a time to chill out.

If you try to heat open air with electrict heather, you know what happens.

Then we have an infrared radiator. When waves meet an object, waves transform to  heat and heats the object.

THE WHOLE CLUE IS, THAT WE HAVE A ENERGY SOURCE AND HOW WE AVOID THE HEAT TO ESCAPE.

.My opinion is that mesh floor do not help us in that technology.

The smaller the room the smaller the surface which conduct the heat.  then a proper ventilation that we do not suffocate or we do not get headace for too big carbon diokside contend. 

Language barrier NOT included

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2011, 02:59:30 am »
>While humans generate 'some' heat its not enough to keep us alive in freezing temps.

Actually I have lived in subzero temperatures outside for weeks with no other humans to keep me warm.  We humans generate plenty of heat if we are wrapped up well enough.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2011, 05:51:17 am »
I would think a open mesh floor (even with baffles) in my environment in winter would render insulation almost useless.  wind blowing across that would cause an air exchange rate far surpassing the abilities of the bees heat output in winter cluster. The bubble you describe  would only exist in the calmest conditions beyond those you are going to get turbulent mixing not a convective cell inside the hive.

A small top vent does utilize a chimney effect (if there is also a bottom entrance) but air flow can be restricted to the desired rate by opening size.
A bottom entrance alone (no mesh) is attractive in the same way as your igloo analogy, but proper sizing would seem critical to insure enough air flow to avoid issues with damp under a variety of conditions.

I don't pretend to have the right solutions, I would just argue that the problem is complex and nuanced

A bottom mesh directly in the wind flow is yet another proverb.  The design of the floor and entrance needs to be carefully done. the floor section under the mesh needs to be  baffled  to allow free vertical movement of detritius and prevent air movement for 2" to 3" under the floor caused by air movement outside the hive. This cannot be done in a 3/4" deep floor.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2011, 06:33:41 am »
So I see the general consensus (all seemingly based on personal experience) from this post is that no one ever dies from exposure to extreme weather unless they're ignorant (not 'my' word, please see above poster). 

And its good to keep bees warm (even artificially) but people don't need any heat to survive winter.  Got it ;)   

OK, OK, OK, you all win :-D.   Its giving me a major headache.

I'll try and find a way to forget about those who have turned into Popsicle's over the years :-D. (some I apparently mistook for highly intelligent).

Never would've imagined I'd loose (give up/forced out of) this debate, but my head just exploded from all the expert opinions :-D.

thomas

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2011, 08:23:10 am »
Bo.. A small kid can drown in a 5 gallon bucket,

Mo..No they can't. I emptied the bucket.

Bo.. Yes they can. I put water back in it.

Mo.. No they can't. It evaporated.

Bo.. Yes they can. It rained last night.

Mo.. No they can't. The dog drank it.

Some of the words describing intelligence above may be spot on.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2011, 09:55:33 am »
 Who's on first
NO....who.... is on second

IDDEE I agree but for the record
I use a Pail "not a bucket" :-D
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
Tommy, that sounds like a pale, pail, pell argument to me.   :-P
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline scrapiron

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:04 am »
I am quickly growing tired of this site. All the mud slinging, and snot-nosing is REDICULOUS. I wish the Moderators would BAN the crap out of anyone who comes on another persons thread just to disagree.

Some people pick their nose, some people blow it. As long as we are all breathing.... So be it.

Moderators, please tighten things up. Dont let 3 people ruin this site, I will be the first to stop coming here.
Matt

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2011, 02:01:30 pm »
Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing , the whole argument of hive versus cluster is moot for most of us.  We already have our preferred method of caring for our hives.  Most aren't going to do too much for the hives, a few will insulate, even fewer are going to bother heating.  And we're willing to deal with any consequences.

20 years ago, the winter kill rate was about 20%.  I doubt that was with extreme measures such as heating a hive.  And personally, I find 80% survival acceptable.  They didn't bother back then.

Plenty of hives survive just fine for years in leaky creaky old boxes.  Some even in buckets and pails. :-D

Yes, I agree a little extra heat is going to help a hive survive, as evidenced from my 2 frame observation hive surviving the winter.  But it really isn't worth it in the majority of cases.

I usually pick first, just to loosen things up, then blow.
Rick

Offline derekm

• Field Bee
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2011, 02:49:40 pm »
Regardless of agreeing or disagreeing , the whole argument of hive versus cluster is moot for most of us.  We already have our preferred method of caring for our hives.  Most aren't going to do too much for the hives, a few will insulate, even fewer are going to bother heating.  And we're willing to deal with any consequences.

20 years ago, the winter kill rate was about 20%.  I doubt that was with extreme measures such as heating a hive.  And personally, I find 80% survival acceptable.  They didn't bother back then.

Plenty of hives survive just fine for years in leaky creaky old boxes.  Some even in buckets and pails. :-D

Yes, I agree a little extra heat is going to help a hive survive, as evidenced from my 2 frame observation hive surviving the winter.  But it really isn't worth it in the majority of cases.

I usually pick first, just to loosen things up, then blow.

So  they fixed in their ways even if the dollar return is less with the old ways compared to the new...illogical but  facinating as the alien with the pointy ears used to say.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2011, 09:40:06 pm »
Time to lock this thread,it has outlived any purpose.

anything