Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen Question  (Read 2958 times)

Offline gjcluttrell

• New Bee
Queen Question
« on: March 29, 2008, 05:18:55 pm »
I am thinking about trying to raise my own queens. I am familair with the procedures but need some advice. This may seem like a silly question but if I succeed with raising some queens, what do I do with them all if I can't sell the extra queens I have that I don't need? I have some spare nuc boxes but do I just put the queen in the nuc box by herself until I find a place for her or could I just place her in a cage, in the nuc, and shake some young bees in the nuc with her for a few days before releasing her to start a brand new hive? Thanks

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Queen Question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:33 pm »
>This may seem like a silly question but if I succeed with raising some queens, what do I do with them all if I can't sell the extra queens I have that I don't need?

Bank them.

> I have some spare nuc boxes but do I just put the queen in the nuc box by herself until I find a place for her

No.  She will die by herself in a very short time.  Probably a day or less.

> or could I just place her in a cage, in the nuc, and shake some young bees in the nuc with her for a few days before releasing her to start a brand new hive?

Yes, if there are young bees they can take care of her.  But is she mated?  If she is, then she's already in a mating nuc anyway isn't she?  Can't you just leave her there?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gjcluttrell

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:01 pm »
Thanks for you information. You ask is she mated? Once the queen emerges from the queen cell do I let her take her one time flight before I place her in a cage in a nuc with some young bees from a few hive? Or will she take her mating flight after she is released from the cage in the nuc with the young bees?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 11:20:37 pm »
> You ask is she mated? Once the queen emerges from the queen cell do I let her take her one time flight before I place her in a cage in a nuc with some young bees from a few hive?

She will have to emerge in her own hive or she will kill all the other queen cells.  This is usually a mating nuc with a minimum of bees, but could be a queenless hive.

> Or will she take her mating flight after she is released from the cage in the nuc with the young bees?

She need to EMERGE into the nuc with the young bees.  That means you move the queen cell into the nuc two days before she emerges.  Otherwise your queen rearing will result in only one queen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:26 pm »
I am thinking about trying to raise my own queens. I am familair with the procedures but need some advice.

Not trying to be critical, but by the questions you are asking, I don't believe you are familiar enough with the procedures. I think you need to do more studying before you attempt to raise queens.  Check out the reprinted articles forum.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?board=56.0

Michael has made some great books on queen rearing available for free from his website.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brandy

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 11:27:22 am »
I would also suggest that instead of selling any of your first queen's you would use them yourself.  In making up your mating nuc's you will get a good idea of the quality of the queen's and then determine what to do with the extra.  There's a percentage loss with acceptance, emerging, mating, and then laying ability.  So, it's quite possible you will not end up with more quality queen's than you can use.