Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lots of bees, notbrood  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Duckhunter39480

• Brood
Lots of bees, notbrood
« on: April 15, 2006, 05:35:17 pm »
I inspected both of my hives today and there are lots of bees in both hives but I can't find any brood.  Both hives seem to be drawing comb and storing honey and pollen.  The bees seem contented.  I didn't find the queen so I can't definately say that the colony has a queen.  Is there a problem here?  I did see some queen cells in one of the hives but they wern't compoleted and there were no larva anywhere.
But soon a wonder came to light,
 That showed the rouges thay lied:-
The man recovered from the bite,
 The dog it was that died

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Lots of bees, notbrood
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 05:47:13 pm »
Are these new packages? If yes, when were they installed?
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Lots of bees, notbrood
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:46:29 pm »
Sounds like you need a queen.
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Lots of bees, notbrood
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 08:43:36 pm »
Duckhunter39480, I had a hive like this a few weeks ago, found a open queen cell and check it for about 2 weeks and nothing, no eggs or larva and the bee's had become some what hot, on the second week I put a frame of eggs in the hive and they never drew out a queen cell, then I went out the start of the 3rd week to inspect 1 more time and I was going to use this hive as a queen cell builder but when I inspected the hive it had about 8 frames of larva and eggs, the new queen been working overtime, you should inspect every frame and make sure you don't have a cell that a queen hatched from, she could be in there, just with any bad weather and mating flights she just might not started laying yet..
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Jack Parr

• House Bee
Re: Lots of bees, notbrood
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 08:35:25 am »
Quote from: Duckhunter39480
I inspected both of my hives today and there are lots of bees in both hives but I can't find any brood.  Both hives seem to be drawing comb and storing honey and pollen.  The bees seem contented.  I didn't find the queen so I can't definately say that the colony has a queen.  Is there a problem here?  I did see some queen cells in one of the hives but they wern't compoleted and there were no larva anywhere.

The bees lived and watch out, the keeper might die :!:  :P

Duckhunter seems like, from your description of hive activity, that your hive swarmed :?: Lotsa bees, no brood. After lotsa bee and brood prior.

You will almost always find queen cells and they will seem polished and unused. I was just in your duckboots and my experience is that the bees swarmed :!:  I still have lotsa bees :!: That threw me off for awhile until I analyzed the problem, with some help but not from here. :cry:   I had done some frame manipulations hoping to stall any swarming activity because I wanted to pull some brood frames from that hive to install in some new nucs but I didn't get the nucs until yesterday, April 15.  We, here in the southern part of the country, are way advanced in the season due to the lack of cold weather. I was seeing this happening because I have honey I could extract RIGHT NOW.

I found a queen in my hive, caught her, ( check out my post on FINDING DA QUEEN )  and she is now in the house in a plastic ice cream container for observation.

I bought some new queens and they are now installed, in that hive and others.

A fellow beekeeper had the exact same experience and we found the queen cell with the closure wax flap still attached. The bees had swarmed but produced a new queen which he removed and he also requeened. He had lotsa bees left also.

Well ya live and ya learn. :cry: