Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: mildew or ?? does anyone know  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Windy Hollow Farm

• Brood
mildew or ?? does anyone know
« on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
Hello. I started a hive last spring and just went in to see how the bees are doing. Not so good. There seems to be mildew or something of the sort that has affected about 1/2 of the frames of 2 brood boxes. It doesn't cover the entire frames, just sections. For the time being I pulled out the affected frames and just have one brood box set up. I live in coastal Northern California where our winters are rainy and chilly, but basically moderate comparatively speaking. I'd prefer to deal with issues organically. Any thoughts on what is going on? Thanks! -Jennifer

« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 08:17:09 pm by buzzbee »

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
Re: mildew or ?? does anyone know
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 05:40:02 pm »
It is just a common mold that forms on comb when there are no bees to care for them.  When you put them back in a hive with adult bees they will clean them.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 08:32:08 pm »
Hello. I started a hive last spring and just went in to see how the bees are doing. Not so good. There seems to be mildew or something of the sort that has affected about 1/2 of the frames of 2 brood boxes. It doesn't cover the entire frames, just sections. For the time being I pulled out the affected frames and just have one brood box set up. I live in coastal Northern California where our winters are rainy and chilly, but basically moderate comparatively speaking. I'd prefer to deal with issues organically. Any thoughts on what is going on? Thanks! -Jennifer

Add BEES it will be ok

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 03:07:06 pm »

Seems bad. I would cut that away and then glue with melted wax  to the hole piece of foundation.

Sure bees clean them but stupid work to them.
Language barrier NOT included