Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: interesting conversation on oregon removals.  (Read 2739 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
interesting conversation on oregon removals.
« on: June 17, 2012, 01:42:15 pm »
Just looked at a removal project.  Since it is not one that I was willing to tackle alone, I called another local who is listed for removals in our area.  He told me that he'd gotten his contractors license because the Oregon contractors board was going after anyone who did "work" on homes not their own.  the law was enacted in 2002, but not really enforced for this kind of thing until recently...when contractors were not getting as much work.

I had heard that they were busting handyman types, but this is the first time I have talked to a beekeeper who was worried enough about it to go get a license.  also explains why not many people around here are doing structure removals anymore.  apparently we can do removals under the supervision of a contractor.... :-D  pretty sure that the ones who call me are not interested in supervising  (call me when you are done) my removals!

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
Re: interesting conversation on oregon removals.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 02:10:25 pm »
I'm tired of dealing with the public about removals, period.  I'm not doing any more.  I may go after the odd swarm now and then, but that's it.  Everyone expects you to wave your magic wand and make everything better instantly.  I'll finish the two trapouts I have going, but after that, someone else can do the removals.  Let them deal with high-priced exterminators, etc.  Of course, there are no exterminators in the area that I know of that will deal with bees.  I know this because they call me to handle all their bee problems.  The only two other beeks that I know who do removals in the area are also not interested in dealing with the public any longer.  The impatient, lawsuit-happy public have shot themselves in the foot on this one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 03:43:30 pm »
 i was able to set them up with the one guy on our side of the river that still does removals.  all is well.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 05:37:44 pm »
Well here in Georgia, according to Derrick Lassiter head of the Structural Pest Control Board, we have to have a Household Pest Control License to do honeybee removals (live or otherwise) from structures and Ornamental and Turf to remove them from trees. This means each of us would have to have a Designated Certified Operators License, requirements to sit for include two years operating as a registered applicator under a state licensed DCO or the equivalent degree from an accepted course of study or similar two years experience in another state where reciprical agreements exists. Then the corporation must be licensed and registered with the dept of ag as well plus carrying a bond or insurance in the amount of 100,000.
I choose to ignore it and hope he tries to enforce it. Merrifield vs California only costs the state of California fourteen million. Restraint of trade suits can get costly and Georgia courts are extremely trade friendly.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:15:27 pm »
thing that ticks me off is that i do many of my removals free.  that would probably doubly piss off the contractors.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 07:11:40 pm »
Kathy, buy the bees for .10 and go get your own bees. You bought them. They can't stop you from going and getting them.   :evil:   :-D
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
 :-D