Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Financial guru talks bees....  (Read 6460 times)

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
Re: Financial guru talks bees....
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2009, 08:05:57 pm »
I'm rethinking my original formula, I think that the estimate of 36 square miles is correct because noone sells land in round mile incriments.  That leaves you having to buy a 6 mile by 6 mile piece of land...I was right afterall!!! :-D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 11:46:51 pm by WOB419 »

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2009, 08:14:21 pm »
the real problem i saw in that video is that we have an economist that is willing to talk in absolutes (as in "..the bees will absolutely die").  especially given that we know his claim to be untrue (although perhaps true in his experience), it is a bit disturbing that someone that gets so much press in his main field (economics) doesn't know how to avoid falling into this particular trap.

deknow

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2009, 09:36:35 pm »
I'm rethinking my original formula think that the estimate of 36 square miles is correct because noone sell land in round mile incriments.  That leave you having to buy a 6 mile by 6 mile piece of land...I was right afterall!!! :-D

Well the beek doesn't have to own the property, just ensure it remains chem. free.  Therefore it wouldn't matter if the beek owned a small square in the center and only ensured the rest of the land inside the forage area remained chemical free.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2009, 09:53:09 pm »
I think there is no such thing as organic honey! How can you tell where your bee's are going ?
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 09:57:28 pm »
I think there is no such thing as organic honey! How can you tell where your bee's are going ?

Well you can tell they aren't going for more than a certain distance from your hive.  If you can guarantee that no chemicals have been used within that radius, then it's organic.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 10:30:22 pm »
Who has proof that the bees will use a perfect circle.
It is also known they "will" fly over 3 miles.
You will have to be in an area where there is no spraying the forest, where there is no power lines rights of way to be sprayed. What else do you have?

Lawn treatments, swimming pools, pest control sprays.
Bees go into some strange places to get what they need.

As for organic veggies, the soil has to be with out chemicals for a certain number of years, before you can even start, I forget the number.

A lot of people will buy "naturally grown" labeled  veggies as quick as the ones with the big O on the label, can be sold at a less price and you don't have to worry about the "ORGANIC" reg's.
People know what "Natural" means. Don't buck this one.

The last time I treated was  (2006) lost 7 out of 12 that fall and the following spring.
No treatment since then and have lost 2 colonies.
You tell me.

As for organic, forget it unless you own a good bank that doesn't need tarp $$$.
I know there are disagreements with what I have said, that is my thoughts, not subject to change.
 :)doak

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2009, 04:55:18 am »
Who has proof that the bees will use a perfect circle.
It is also known they "will" fly over 3 miles.
You will have to be in an area where there is no spraying the forest, where there is no power lines rights of way to be sprayed. What else do you have?

Lawn treatments, swimming pools, pest control sprays.
Bees go into some strange places to get what they need.

So call it 10 miles... and while the area the bees fly in may not be a perfect circle, the area the beek would have to have chemical free would have to be a circle out to whatever radius the bees have the ability to fly to.  Either way, there are still vast areas of land in the world, and some of it may be chemical free, perhaps a huge organic farm, or many organic farms in one place... or maybe wilderness.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2009, 09:13:40 am »
>So call it 10 miles... and while the area the bees fly in may not be a perfect circle, the area the beek would have to have chemical free would have to be a circle out to whatever radius the bees have the ability to fly to

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:
John 3:16

Offline WOB419

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 11:50:15 pm »
Are those bees flying around the dead horses? 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 11:57:16 pm »
i think my friend said the soil had to have been unsprayed/treated for 3 years and then it has to be tested.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything