Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Eagle has LANDED!  (Read 7742 times)

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
The Eagle has LANDED!
« on: October 04, 2007, 06:30:07 am »
Well it has been a great day for this Aussie. Two close up inspections of a map of Tassie in a day!

Threw the leg over this morning and my first foray into shares in a company called Gunns, a paper milling company that wants to chip half of Tasmanina and single handedly add more greenhouse gasses to the environment that a small country got the go ahead to build a new pulp mill today so I made 16.9% on my investment in 4 hours. That has paid for my new baby.

Sometimes you gotta let your ethics give way to your wallet. It was a foregone conclusion IMO hence I sided with the enemy. Nothing I did was gunna change the decision of my Government!

Well its home. After waiting infront of the shop for an hour for a taxi, I grabbed a young bloke leaving the shop and gave him 30 bucks to drive me home. Easiest 30 bucks for ten minutes work he will ever make. The taxi would have been 15 bucks, but they can rot in hell for trying to ruin my day!

Everything has been installed and tested by the shop, including VISTA! All I have to do is plug it in and away we go.

I might wait till tomorrow night when I can relax.

The specs are:

Intel CORE 2 DUO E6750/ 2.66GHz/ 4MB CACHE/ 1333FSB/ LGA775
Gigabyte GA-P35-S3 motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 320Gb 7200RPM 16Mb SATA 2 (TWO OF)
Pioneer DVR-212D SATA DVD Re-Writer (18x/8x Dual Layer Black)
Corsair DDR2 2GB PC-6400/800 (2xXMS2 1G TWIN2X2048-6400 Ram
Samsung 22" 225MS HDMI yada yada
Cooler Master Centurion 5 Black Tower Case(460W) Black
1.44Mb Floppy Disk Drive (Black)
Radeon 2600pro vid card HDMI, HDCP yada yada
Vista home premium.

$1900 bucks with build and a 2% CC surcharge. The LCD was $585 of that total.

Thats my chrissy pressie to me.

I will let you know how it and VISTA goes!

PS: use more toilet paper, have a wipe for mick! help me get to 20%!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
Re: The Eagle has LANDED!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 09:31:53 am »
What part of Tassie?  I've got relatives in Launcestown....

Congrats on the new baby. What do you mean that you needed to have the baby paid for...doesn't your government already do that???

Rick
Rick

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 09:52:02 am »
good for you Cyber Mick, sounds like a nice rig, dont hack nobdy with that super puter now  :evil: ;) , you sure your last name isn't Gate's , might be Bill Gate's distant cousin (its hard to hide money ha money bags)  :-D :-P
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 12:12:51 pm »
Mick has got to be the richest aussie that I know. ;)  Way to go mick, cant wait to play some online games now.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 03:40:11 am »
Congrats Mick - Sounds like a real fire engine there.

I sell servers for a living, and so I'm always interested to hear when people have 'upgraded' to the latest and greatest, and what they chose for their parts.

Are your drives mirrored (RAID1), or just two disks giving you a ton of space?

On the side, I've been trading or papertrading for a few years now. Lots of fun. My first hobby before beekeeping is Forex - and I've lost a little and regained it in my re-acquaintance with my strategy (I had stopped up until a few weeks ago). The world is surely beating up the dollar right now.

EURUSD:

A ~17% return in 1 day is certainly good fortune. Very nice work!

UtahBees

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:20:56 am »
I dunno how those HDs are set up. I plan to find out soon!

My plan is to go in and partition each one into 4 x 80gbm but never had any more than a single 80gb HD until now, so I am clueless!

Up another 3.4% today!!  20% increase in 2 days sure beats bank interest. I will soon be like TWT!

"PS: use more toilet paper, have a wipe for mick! help me get to 20%!"

We did it!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 11:13:46 am »
Mich, yeah!!!  Go Mick go!!!  Always nice to make a little of that stuff we call moolah!!! :) ;)  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 12:17:06 pm »

"PS: use more toilet paper, have a wipe for mick! help me get to 20%!"

what you do buy a toilet paper company????  :-D
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 12:56:54 pm »
Threw the leg over this morning and my first foray into shares in a company called Gunns, a paper milling company

PS: use more toilet paper, have a wipe for mick! help me get to 20%!

Since it's a paper-milling company, if you use more TP, you are helping his stock out, he says :)

It's probably just 2 disks, and ready to partition anyway you want. You don't have to divide them up into smaller partitions. You can keep them large - as you bought fast drives, and NTFS uses the disk space fairly well (in Win98 you'd lose a lot of space with very large disks).

Have fun!

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 05:42:12 am »
After spending 1900 on a new PC, you would reckon either the MB, Graphics Card or the Monitor would have come with the necessary cables to connect the frickin monitor!

If those cockroaches at the shop have left it out, I will be very very cross!

I need a Dsub or a HDMI2 somethng cable.

Off to the shop tomorrow.

A victory for mac users.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2007, 01:18:19 pm »
Mick, grrrr...don't that make ya wanna shout!!!  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  Where's my wax :-D ;) :)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 02:56:43 pm »
mick, i have not  heard how you like your new computer.  i got a new one this year also, and it has vista.  of all of the new OS's that i have gone through with MS, this one seems to be the least buggy.  has extra stuff that i don't need or want, and makes it a little hard to dink with and customize, but it's also fairly idiot proof.

update us! 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 06:15:00 pm »
New toy day is always a good day.

Nice box, now if would run OS X you'd really have something    lol

cheers

peter

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007, 03:04:05 am »
The OSX versions are called 'hackintoshes'  8-)

UtahBees

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007, 04:51:50 am »
So far no complaints, but I havent really tried anything dramatic. It hasnt crashed or anything. I think the new colour scheme is kinda lame tho. I dont mind the program access pop ups, they seem useful, but its early days. Updating took 70mb of files, activation was easy. I dont wanna pay 80 bucks for the Belkin USb easy transfer cable.

Just checking out all the settings and stuff. Am transferring 2gb of ET files via CD to test it out tomorrow hopefully.

Offline ooptec

• House Bee
    • Beginners foray into TBH's in Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
Hackintoshes    lol    excellent ....... will pass that on I'm sure will get the chuckles I did from the rest of th 5% I know.

cheers

peter

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2007, 07:21:34 am »
Re:The Eagle has landed!  2007/10/22 19:35         
OK, well a bit of an update on the new beast and my Vistering experience.

Got the Logitech cordless G7 mouse today, $99 bucks which is about 20 less than the odds. No problem to set up and works like a charm. A nice piece of equipment, I like the one less cable idea. But its a lot to pay for a mouse.

Ripped a few legally bought REM cds with MP11, at max bit rate and they took about 3 min compared to the ten I am used to.

Had a quick run at ET. WOW what a change. I always thought everyone ran faster than me as they had some sort of a trick. HAHA no it was my old athlon 53 something struggling to keep up.

I had no idea online gaming could be so fast, smooth and clear. I maxed all the resolutions and settings and it was like I was playing a different game. Just had a 5 min play to see how it went and I have become one of those bastards that is everywhere and anywhere, runs like a deer and leaps like a frog. Just look out you blokes is all I can say.

Oh BTW I was told a bit of a trick for online gaming, tested it and it worked. If you want to be revived, dont call yourself Big Bad John Superstud, call yourself Debbie or Jane or something. All the guys revive you in 2 secs flat.

Thats such a crack up!

So the Logitech G15 keyboard will be here around the 25th, also $99 which is a good 25 bucks cheaper than most places here, a lot to pay I know but I want those gaming options and that back light and i also know Logitech have enough dosh to replace things no hassle if there is a problem.

So its an expensive exercise overall, this machina of mine, but its future proof for about 5 years.

I am hugely impressed by the Samsung 225ms LCD, its very nice and the software is good. You kinda have to run it manually in Vista compared to XP, but it has these presetd for gaming movies etc that are very good. For $585 with a 3 year warranty, its way better than other models $100 less with a 12 month warranty.

Vista is so far EXEMPLARY! No hassles at all apart from the intitial crashing of IE7 which is a bit of a joke. So I am on Firefox like I was before.

Next pay I am after a dual HDTV card and then I wil have a 22" full HDTV and a sizzling PC all in one.

Total cost looks like being $2300.

Its the price of a decent holiday I know, or a nice Compagnolo groupset, but its either spend $1200 and be forever chasing the dream, or $2300 and content.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2007, 12:30:49 pm »
Very nice system - thanks for the pic. The speed isn't in the processor alone. You now have SATA2 HDD and a faster BUS speed, so all around you've had a major upgrade there.

Congrats!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2007, 11:25:18 pm »
Yeah Mick!!!!!  Glad you got something that you are gonna have some fun with, yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful day, now try and see how much sleep you get nowadays with your new toy!!!  Greatest of life.  Cindi

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 02:19:57 am »
Ok well I installed more RAM, but the total wasnt showing the correct answer. The cockroaches, who left the cable out, had only actually installed 2 x 512 mb of RAM in my machine. So they robbed me of half my RAM and if I didnt install more, who knows how long it would have been until vista started crashing my apps, games, surfing etc. I would have been driven insane looking for the answer, always trusting that 2gb had been installed.

Be nice whn I have the full 4GB.

So far Im not overly impressed by Vista. Nothing new for me really, just more clicks to get where you are going and of course those password reminders and the rest of the annoying messages.

anything