Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Lost Bees?  (Read 2821 times)

Offline davchr

• New Bee
Lost Bees?
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:02:33 pm »
I just lost the bees in my hive.  They are not dead, they are just gone.   I set up my first hive and bees in April 2005.  They seemed to be doing fine until the first week of January.  Then they left.

I live in Southern California, so it is not very cold here.  There are still plenty of flowers out, so food should not be a problem.

What could have happened?  How do I prevent it from happening again?

I ordered more bees.  Do I need to clean the comb from the frames before installing the new bees?

thanks
Dave Christensen

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Lost Bees?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 10:04:05 pm »
If it was here in January I'd say it was Tracheal mites.  There?  Maybe trachael mites.  Maybe they absconded.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Lost Bees?
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:23:58 pm »
There are AHBs in Southern Califonia.  Were the bees at all aggressive like AHB?  AHB does have a high tendency, so I've heard, to abscond if disturbed too often.

Offline davchr

• New Bee
Lost bees
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 11:43:00 pm »
The bees were not agressive at all.  I put in a new package of bees just nine months ago.

Why do they abscond?  They were not disturbed very often.

If it was mites, wouldn't there be dead bees around?

How can I tell at this point if it is mites?

Should I clean the comb off the frames before putting in a new package?

thanks
Dave Christensen

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Lost Bees?
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 08:14:15 am »
Sometimes they just abscond for no reason I can see, but that's rare.  Just not unheard of.  Usually they have something bothering them.  A skunk messing with them every night.  Small hive beetles taking over the hive.  Usually something, but not always.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Diver

• New Bee
Lost Bees?
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 08:36:27 am »
Another possibility.  If the bee's were wintering with no brood and the queen died. They would have no way to requeen themselves, therefore no cohesion and would either die out or drift away. You say it's not to cold so are bee's flying? If so that would support the drift theory if it was too cold you would see dead bee's and you indicate there are none.
listen to others. You do not always know as much as you think you do.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Lost Bees?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 05:25:52 pm »
Davchr:

Welcome to the forum, if you could add your locaton to your profile, it would really help us to figure out such issues - thanks :)

It does surely sound like abscounding, I must say this happened to me a few years ago and I actually caught the buggers flying off to the great blue yonder.

Abscounding does differ from normal swarm activity, at least was the case I noted. It seemed the bees HAD a place to go already picked out and JUST LEFT. Where in swarming, about half the population evacuate the hive and take temporary roost until scout bees find a suitable new home.

I suspect sence abscounding typically happens during a short warm spell during Winter (at least very late Fall) the bees NEED to have a new home picked out prior to leaving or the very well could be committing mass suicide if caught on a branch with no protection against the wind and cold.

Good luck, I hope you find your answers and again welcome to the forums.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Bees disappearing
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2006, 08:12:51 pm »
I have bees in Los Angeles.I've had bees abscond three times .Having had bees in Utah years ago Southern California is totally differnt.Ive had bees abscond because of ants.Ants get really aggressive here between August and October .There is a real bad lack of pollen and nector at differnt times in my area.You have to stay on your toes I check mine every week or day or so depending on the weather if I'm feeding them I check every day watching for ants .Like right now my last remaing hive the wild ones I rescued a year ago are drawing comb and filling the comb with honey go figure .You are going to have to get in tune with your own space down there .You can email me and talk to me if you like kirko

323 646 9651
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon